Just back from a great six day visit to Haulover Beach and the Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort. The beach is in great shape, the water is an ideal temperature, the people friendly and relaxed. It is so nice to go to a free nude beach that has lifeguards, a hot dog stand, umbrellas and beach loungers for rent, showers, toilets and inexpensive parking. It's really a very mixed crowd -- regulars and tourists, Americans and foreigners, straight and gay, men and women, young and old (no kids when I was there, though).

Disturbingly, the South Florida Free Beaches organization posted a warning of a dangerous bill that has been submitted to the state legislature in Tallahassee -- this would define simple nudity as a crime if children were present. This would probably shut down Haulover as a clothing-optional beach, since there would be no way to exclude children from a public beach, and force commmercial properties like Paradise Lakes to adopt an adults-only policy. Send donations to support lobbying efforts agains this bill to the SFFB folks.

The Newport Beachside Resort was a very nice place to stay. Think upper-end Holiday Inn, except on a great beach with better restaurants, resort activities and entertainment (especially for kids), shops, etc. The hotel is in the midst of being renovated, so ask what's going on before you go. The lobby is done, elevators being renovated beginning next week, then the rooms. The hotel was originally built in 1961, so the rooms are a bit small by current standards, but still fine, and having a little kitchenette with refrigerator and microwave adds convenience and cuts dining costs. I wish I'd known about this place when my kids were young -- it's a great place for families. If you rent a room overlooking the pool, expect noise during the daytime from all the children. The hotel is a 12 to 15 minute walk on the beach to Haulover, or about a three-minute car trip. There's also a bus that runs every 20 minutes (the "S" bus, I was told). I got a great package deal from the Hxxwxxx discount travel web site with only 5 days advance booking: $943 including taxes for six nights standard accommodations and seven days rental car. There are additional fees of $10/day for a "resort fee" and $10/day for self-parking across the street. Even so, that's a lot less expensive than St. Martin, St. Barts or Mexico, and the US location makes phone and Internet access easy -- I worked in the morning and went to the beach in the afternoon. Plus you have food choices ranging from McDonald's to really good fine dining restaurants -- check Zagat's listings for North Miami Beach. On the other hand, the hotel is not clothing optional or even topless, so you have to go to Haulover for that.