Member Spotlight
TomB
TomB
Virginia wishing STJ
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (RickinAtlanta, MrEZgoin, KirkB, MikeBiondo, Midsouth, louismcc, crsxm, nevar37, KenM, GeorgeC1, tpcook, Tapopow, Kevin_B, Halcyon, Matt W, mark37, duckfat, SXMScubaman, RickBlaine, MKGrey, Swifty, Mbrott, 9 invisible), 854 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
1 hour ago Another scooter tragedy [by SXMScubaman]
LINK
0 49 Read More
3 hours ago Orient Beach [by DRich]
We will be at Orient Beach for ten days in about two weeks. Just wondering how the seaweed is this year in comparison to previous years?
1 104 Read More
7 hours ago Why no ferries from CA to road town today? [by tangerine3]
Friends flight today delayed and rerouted now won't get in to stt till 4. I have been to all sites I can think of for later ferries and can't seem to find any to road town from Charlotte or red hook am I missing something? We leave on charter tomorrow and we have a sleep aboard tonight does anybody know any ferries today that leave at five or five thirty from St Thomas to road town or west end, thank you
10 247 Read More
16 hours ago Sonesta Maho [by TJTrippe]
Assuming that is still the name as havent heard much about lately, how is this place for a group of 30 somethings. Or would they be better off ala carting at the boon or horny toad?

Asking for some 30 somethings. Would they benefit from all inclusive?
4 381 Read More
Yesterday at 10:29 PM Naturalizing in the BVI [by MrEZgoin]
I recently discovered the iNaturalist website (and phone app)... a 503C organization that collects crowd-sourced nature observations.
It contains a fairly sophisticated database of computerized species identification, like reverse image search but quite a bit better.

Beyond that, there is a user base of millions, including experts in all sorts of biological organisms, who will confirm or correct the submitted observations to a high degree of accuracy.

This has added another whole dimension to my visits and photography! I had such an amazing time just a few days ago traipsing barefoot on Prickly Pear, stalking and photographing the scarlet Ibis and other birds. Learning the names and other facts about the BVI wildlife makes them that much more interesting to me.

In case anyone is interested, if you follow this link it will show the (so far small) set of observations I have made in the BVI:

MrEZgoing's BVI wildlife observations

The website is free and has no advertising. Highly recommended!

2 210 Read More
Yesterday at 09:35 PM Cul De Sac area [by bran]
Over the years always stay at Terres Basses as so convenient between the two Countries, albeit being a foodie geared more to the French cuisine and spend less time on the Dutch side apart from the Maho area. So, miss the Islands as first Covid and then health issues, so now difficult, but came across this being near Grand Case but have no idea of this area, apart from once or twice visiting Orient and having a meal but for me Grand Case is normally where I want to be for food. So was thinking of having a week or two in TB and then trying this out and wondered if anyone has stayed there or could fill me in..

https://www.vrbo.com/891443

Hope this link comes out...

Failing that, years ago stayed at the Le Petite Hotel and liked that but think on the first floor, Bleu Emaraude Hotel in Grand Case looks very nice(albeit we are not hotel people as such) but then a car not needed and would just enjoy eating, drinking and lounging about. I know the streets of GC not very wheelchair friendly but would try and make the best of it. Have been going to SXM since the early 80's(must have been at least 40-50 times) but not been back since 2019, so as always, advice greatly appreciated.
11 563 Read More
Yesterday at 02:35 PM 49th Foxy's Wooden Boat Regatta [by BVIslander]

The US Labour Day weekend is the traditional date for the annual Foxy's Wooden Boat Regatta, this year is the 49th iteration of this sailing event celebrating the heritage of wooden vessels.
This years Wooden Boat Regatta will feature two days of racing for all classes: Wooden boats, Classics, Multihulls, and even wooden boat-wannabes!
Please join in the party and in the racing at Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke, the 25th and 26th of May, 2024.
The event sponsored by Foxy's and the West End Yacht Club.
1 0 126 Read More
Yesterday at 02:18 PM Atlantic hurricane names listed [by SXMScubaman]
Hopefully it won't go through the whole alphabet.
LINK
1 310 Read More
04/30/2024 10:51 PM Royal Islander [by dj1094]
Hello All
Any update on the A/C thank you DJ
2 448 Read More
04/30/2024 07:32 PM Cooper Island - backwinding visualized [by Matt W]
It's been about 10 years since we've been to Cooper Island, so we recently gave it another shot. Armed with a boatyball reservation (my first), we planned to eat dinner ashore. But, we caught a sizeable mahi en route, so we cancelled the dinner res. The resort is nice, and we enjoyed a drink at the rum bar and a game of cricket. But, I really don't see the appeal of this mooring field. There are more scenic anchorages and I really didn't care for the current / backwinding effects. Will probably be my last visit.

I took this time lapse over 6 minutes. Really helps to visualize how almost every boat is moving in another direction. Tried to post here as a gif, but it's too big, so here's the YouTube link.

Bonus shot of our mahi:
1 6 623 Read More