I spent several days in the USVI on this trip. Very relaxing in many ways compared to the BVI. We kept to the North Shore of St Johns. Had to go through the usual customs routine of clearing out and in to the BVI and the USVI. Everything went smoothly however and contrary to past experiences the customs officers in the USVI were very friendly. Had an interesting discussion about recent changes in policies and how they handle boats that don't clear in. In a nutshell the old days were you dropped over to the USVI for a day or two without clearing customs are gone. Make sure you clear in and out. The coast guard now has the ability to simply read your boat name and get an instant computer readout on if you have cleared or not so they no longer have to stop and check each boat.
The anchorages were very nice and quiet. Moorings balls are a reasonable 15.00 per night on an honor system. We paid at Canel Bay for all three nights in advance. When we went back to the BVI I found myself missing the USVI which is quite a switch from past years. Another great aspect of the USVI is the wonderful hiking. If you skip the USVI over the hassle of customs you are missing a lot. Simply plan a lunch stop at west end to clear out and Pick up a mooring near Canel bay and dingy over to Cruz to clear in. They will still let you clear in and out at the same time if under 3 days. Make sure however all crewmembers are present. Make sure also your boat has proper and current papers on board. Charter companies tend to be lax about updating the docs.
Missing the USVI probably had something to due with the first night back in the BVI being spent in Cane Garden Bay. Between the kid with the racing outboard testing it every hour and the boats with high horsepower dingy's racing everyway it seemed very hectic and crowded. CGB once was my favorite stop however after my last two experiences there its off my must do list and not a place I will spend money until the locals there decide to clean things up with regard to noise, jet ski's and unmuffled outboards. (we are talking about unable to carry on a conversation in your own boat whenever the racing outboard cranks up)
George