June 28th, Flew in from DFW for 21 days. Marcia and I were staying at Wyndham Sapphire, Room 163, and the boys at their dads whose going to Med-School close by.

July 3rd, Changed to room 135.

July 4th, went to party at Bay watch but rained all afternoon.

July 5th, Day 7 out of 21, I started feeling under the weather.

July 6th, Went to Doctor in Maui. X-rays showed extreme case of pneumonia.

July 7th, Was worse and Marcia called the doctor and he came to our room and told us to go to the emergency room. I was put in ICU..

July 8th, Condition worsened.

July 9th, 1:00am I was put on the ventilator and kidneys and liver started shutting down. Marcia started looking for a way to get me home, but getting it approved thru our insurance was out of the question on a Friday. I don’t know she managed it, but $21,000 later an air ambulance out of North Carolina headed to SXM and arrived at 11:00pm. Hospital at 11:15. The airfield closes at midnight so the had to get back or wait until morning. After a wild ambulance ride to airport, pulled up to plane at 11:35, loaded, and took off. Since I was in a sedated induced coma I knew nothing about it. Marcia had to hold my head to keep it from banging against the side of the ambulance on the ride to the airport.

Early July 10th, Land at Miami, pilot runs in and checks us all thru customs and we proceed to their hanger to refuel.
5:30am arrive a DFW and get in ambulance to hospital. An hour later, doctor tells Marcia I have a 30 to 50% change of living over the next 24 hours but I start improving.

Tuesday July 13th, They do an open lung biopsy to try and determine the diagnoses.

I did test positive for Legionaires Decease. Most likely infected in hotel room, either thru AC ventilation or water in hot tub. I most likely caught it due to my resistance being low from the problems I’d been having since February. The in house lab couldn’t determine what else so they sent the biopsy to the Mayo Clinic and it came back some Interstitial Lung Decease (just a general term that could mean a number of deceases)

I was in a sedated coma until Saturday July 17th. I woke up in restraints with tubes coming out of my mouth. I was in ICU and it was between visiting hours so I was alone in the room so not knowing what had gone on over the last 10 days I thought I was in some kind of jail. That afternoon the take the tubes out of my side and mouth and move me to a regular room. Monday they have me walking around with the help of a walker and dragging an oxygen bottle. They released Thursday the 22nd. With 24 hour oxygen, a strong antibiotic, and a 28 day heavy steroid program. The steroids has induced diabetes (temporally most likely), so now I have to check my blood sugar 3 times a day and have had to take insulin shots after each test.
I have been doing all my exercises and riding my exercise bike like I’m supposed to so I’m getting stronger every day. I go back to the lung doctor the 31st, and should be able to get off the oxygen at least during the day.

I do know that when we were in the doctors office their was a lady from Sapphire with the same symptoms. Anyone know of any others

Live every day like its your last. No one knows if we'll live to see tommorrow come.