Member Spotlight
RickG
RickG
St. John, USVI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Bea
Who's Online Now
24 registered members (boucharda, Buddyhog, George1234, timnboston, deliveryskipper, louismcc, RickG, Sandsailsun, Kennys, Fitzhughlaw, Zanshin, bostonbob, bailau, StMartinFan, Jeannius, SeeDiver, 8 invisible), 515 guests, and 133 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Martini,
Agree to either have your Dr. or use such a service and get some what/if questions answered on when to take what antibiotics AND WHEN NOT. Hunting down antibiotics around the world can be easier and or more difficult but the delay in treating something simple can ruin the trip.
25 1,732 Read More
British Virgin Islands
1 hour ago
I will wait and watch.I can fly SFO to St Thomas generally from between $600 and $900..add cab ( longer ride from EIS to CRC) and ferry I am still way ahead..and I dont mind the ferry ride and now even spend a night each way in STT and probably still come out ahead of flying to EIS.If the Miamimi EIS segemnt becomes reasonable I may change ..lets see..
20 778 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Kayak for airfare and cars. Almost always go direct with airline after getting the hint. Cars often take the link from Kayak.
4 198 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
Plane departing in 30min. Checkin lineup was almost one hour. Lots of dogs in the airport. Mostly rescue dogs from sxm and Antigua
Talk to you later, and thank you again.
51 3,278 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
3 hours ago

Yes, that's why we chose it. I checked with the host prior to booking to make sure it was private enough for au naturale use.
7 832 Read More
Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises
5 hours ago
Couples San Souci in Jamaica
7 432 Read More
British Virgin Islands
5 hours ago
They are lovely and very fun people! If however you want to be able to see the beach and or enjoy a quiet night on your boat it can be best to avoid their favorite places. Photo’s give a hint why. If on the other hand you want to party till dawn they will welcome you with open arms!
2 226 Read More
General Caribbean
7 hours ago
Link

Honestly, I don't understand how this happens, for the FIFTH time this year. This story has been in news so many times so far this year and yet it keeps happening. People are so lax with their ammunition, that they just put it wherever and don't keep track of it? And despite the news stories, they don't doublecheck their bags?
0 35 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
7 hours ago
I had never seen the islands so clearly, as this past April.
I couldn't capture a picture.
I never knew how big they were. The clearest day after 2 weeks of clouds, and dust!
11 1,188 Read More
British Virgin Islands
8 hours ago
OK, this one isn't about the original topic anymore, so will close it here.
28 1,811 Read More
British Virgin Islands
8 hours ago
Originally Posted by FLJim
Flash of Beauty is horrible. Never enough patrons for a good party. No loud music to dance to. The food is cooked to order, so you have to wait for it. (You can order in advance for a set time, but then you have to keep track of time!). The honor system for drinks is practically an invitation to sin. The reefs at water's edge leave no room for the wading drinkers. The deep canyons have lots of large scary fish. The long walks on the beach are too lonely. I could go on...

Ok now that’s funny ! Love love your style my friend smile
14 1,003 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
8 hours ago
Beautiful pictures! Just booked flights for January 2025... we're already ready!
8 687 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 09:13 PM
Hard rain from 4 to 5 today. Now sun is out.
7 719 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
I would estimate based on our recent charter that about 60%+ of the boats out there are transmitting an AIS signal. Still need to keep your eyes out, but it’s really becoming “easy button” sailing.
7 278 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 09:00 PM
Sad, but a good thing as it’s was a danger attracting danger. Hopefully the ocean/beach will reclaim that stretch. Same with the chalets. Hopefully this will lite a fire amongst those with money in the game to either rebuild or sell.
17 2,296 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 07:10 PM
Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the directions and we probably saw Secret Seafood from our villa at Simpson Bay Resort.
15 1,214 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 02:57 PM
Last night there was amazing fireworks in Simpson bay. I only saw the end and had no chance to take a pic. Somebody from the Pelican resort had a drone that flew very close to the fireworks. Maybe someone has pictures to share
4 444 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 02:53 PM
At the end of the walkway is a restaurant called the pier. Very good food and inexpensive
4 373 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 12:27 PM
Keep in mind that in many oceans you have both swell and wind driven waves. Often they come from different directions. The BVI is prone to swell from the North usually generated by storms in the North Atlantic. If you hear of a big Nor’easter in the US expect a big North swell in the BVI a few days later. Those swells in the BVI have virtually no impact when you are in open water sailing. They become a factor when they reach shallow water and turn into breaking waves. Wind driven chop on the other hand is what makes things nasty when out sailing creating short duration steep waves. Usually however it has little effect on anchorages as good ones provide both shelter from the wind and not enough fetch for the waves to build. Cane Garden Bay can be a great anchorage in 30 knots of wind when you are getting hammered out on the open water. CGB is however not a good place to be in a North swell even with calm winds. The North swell is monitored by a series of buoys along the Eastern US. This leads to very accurate swell forecasts. Wind forecasts are more iffy.
As far as the impact a swell might have on a anchorage there are no set rules. Slight changes in direction can have a big impact. Each anchorage will be affected differently. In the BVI a N swell primarily impacts Cane Garden Bay for overnights. My general rule is just go somewhere else if it’s over 1.2 meters give or take. A swell will also impact day stops like the Baths, Dogs, Savannah Bay, Guana, Monkey Point ect.. A swell can also produce large loads on shallow water mooring balls if the swell lifts the boat when its position is such that the mooring line snaps tight as the boat rises. This is probably what led to a well publicized ball failure by a big Utuber. Never leave a boat on a mooring unattended in a North swell. When the swell builds to 2 meters or more it can cause issues in places you don’t expect as it wraps around land masses or reflects off others. White Bay on Jost is an example and I have seen Cooper Island impacted in a big swell. If in the USVI and moderate or larger swell will take out all the great North side anchorages on St John.
5 513 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 12:26 PM
That's kind of what I thought, but thought I just hadn't been following it that closely.
2 350 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 10:07 AM
I recently flew out of SXM and found the security process to be quite smooth, definitely not needing four hours. It could be worth checking the latest updates directly with Air Canada. You can reach out to them using the air canada phone number for the most accurate information. In my experience, two to three hours before departure is usually sufficient.
12 1,539 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
05/17/2024 09:32 PM
Yes, Phil, that's true.
6 806 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
05/17/2024 09:29 PM
OK, thanks. Just looked kinda odd.
10 718 Read More
British Virgin Islands
05/17/2024 06:28 PM
Was there a calendar feature that showed who was around at one point?

I'm headed down later today! There through the 29th.
7 708 Read More
British Virgin Islands
05/17/2024 06:22 PM
I have to give FLJim credit. I stole his technique from over in the Anegada thread as I liked it so much.
4 322 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3