bdeeley 24
Colour1 22
dolfer 20
Member Spotlight
SXMScubaman
SXMScubaman
Auburn, WA
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Who's Online Now
12 members (WWII, deliveryskipper, JerseyPal, Todd_Melinda_K, xrayman67, MrEZgoin, BoatGuy, 5 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#325329 9 hours ago
A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Hello all,
You have been great with replying suggestions for my daughter and I's upcoming trip. Thank you.

I received some comments about where we'll be lodging and it has me second guessing. I don't want specific listings, perse. I'm looking for general vicinities that would be recommended for us. And places to avoid. I will be using a short-term rental, not a hotel.

Side note: We're renting a car and traveling the whole island.

SXM Sponsors
Traveler
Traveler
Just curious, why do you NOT want a hotel? Do you have a specific objection to a hotel? For such a short trip, and in high season, you may find it difficult to rent someplace that is not a hotel.

Carol Hill
Traveler
Traveler
Considering your short stay, I would definitely stay in either Orient beach or Gran Case.
Besides Maho beach, you will have mostly short drives to most things on your to do list.

I know you will have a lot of plans but sometimes just a day at a beach bar is so rewarding.

You can go to Orange Fever where you will feel very welcomed to an more upscale beach bar with incredible food.

J
Traveler
Traveler
J
Hi, we first came in 2008 – stayed a week at the Sonesta Maho and have a total of 11 trips so far. We prefer the French side, but vanilla / chocolate – two great gelato shops in Orient Village.

I suggest Orient Village [Beach] area, lots of small hotels near the beach. I have noticed some short-term rentals stall available. The Alamanda – once a hotel – has been rebuilt as condo’s – often you can find one for rent on Airbnb. It’s right on the beach. Lots in Orient village, food shops [ Italian Deli. Small grocery and more], breakfast spots in the village. Maybe 10 beach bars to try and in the evening 8 or 9? lovely resto’s in the village square – not to ne missed – all easy walking and the village is safe in the evening. The village is a short drive to Grand Case – you already have a great suggestion for a dinner and sunset view.

If you go for a self rental, check ShopnDrop – an online grocery store that can pre-stock your unit. Not sure if they have a min $ order, but worth checking out. Pre stocking adds extra beach time to your short stay. The owner Jeannie G. is a treat to work with.

For driving, we download the bridge and causeway times. The lift bridge is east of the airport and causeway - east after you leave the airport - crosses the lagoon to the Fr side. When up, traffic can stop!.

We also check how many ships in port each. You can find the info at the top under the tab SXM Cruise Schedule. If lots of ship - , there is more traffice, so maybe that day you don;t go so far afield.

Enjoy your trip. We find the planning almost … as fun as the trip. Once you confirm your accommodations – chine in again you are sure to more suggestions.

J&B

Traveler
Traveler
Do not stay at your original booking! Trust me!

EdB Offline
Traveler
Traveler
Personally, i would recomend staying closer to Maho area....like the Sonesta or Royal Islander. It is the perfect location with plenty of good restaurants within a three to five minute walk. It also has nightlife, shopping, and a great vibe. Mullett Bay Beach is a five minute walk, or drive. It is the perfect location for two ''single'' women. Also has plenty of security to add to the safety measure. Royal islander is right next door to Driftwood and is right on maho beach, by the beginning of the runway, so a lot of fun watching the planes coming and going. We found the island thirty five years ago on a cruise, and now go back for three weeks annually. It is a lot safer to stay at a resort or hotel, than an airbnb, or local rental, where you have to lower your shutters at night for safety!!!

M
mgh Offline
Traveler
Traveler
M
Personally we like staying at the Simpson Bay Yacht Club Marina and/or other places near there. You can walk to many bars and restaurants in the area and we’ve never experienced any kind of trouble whatsoever.

mgh

Link Copied to Clipboard