Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Iowaboy
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (bran, RickinAtlanta, 706jim, MrEZgoin, Fitzhughlaw, Kennys, Carib_Ian, SXMScubaman, 5 invisible), 800 guests, and 118 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Yesterday at 08:49 PM Trip Report June 15 - 23 2024 [by Lancer]
PHL-MIA
We flew out of PHL to MIA. The flight went smooth and we took a hotel shuttle and spent the night at the EB hotel near the airport. The room was nice, very comfortable bed and clean. An interesting design was you can see into the bathroom shower through a full glass wall next to the bed, and then all the way through to the toilet, which was separated by a more opaque glass. There was, though, a blind you could pull down in the shower. I would not recommend this hotel for a layover. The food is a 2 on a scale of 1 to 5. The room a 4 and the staff all were 4.5 on the same scale. We found waiters and waitresses, bartenders and front desk personnel extremely helpful and friendly.

MIA-SXM
We boarded our flight from MIA to SXM without incident and I was particularly struck by the window views as we flew over the Bahama Islands and Turks and Caicos. The blue and turquoise water was beautiful. The high chroma colors almost looked fake.

We took a shuttle bus from the plane in SXM and stood in a long line to go through customs and get our luggage. It seemed to move along fine. We were just glad to be on the island again. We rented a car from Kenny’s. Leslie Bruce is such a great guy. Met us with the “Kenny’s” sign in hand, walked us to the parking lot to get our car and off we went.

Studio
We stayed at the same studio as last June in Orient Village that sits above the Ocean Star super market. Our owners/host met us when we arrived and again when we left. They are so friendly and accommodating. Really nice folks. After unpacking we went down to the grocery store for bottles of water, a large bag of ice and a few food items…cheese, sliced salami, eggs and a bottle of Don Zapata 23 rum. Our host suggested not drinking tap water but to use bottle water. I shared a lot of detail about the studio in a trip report from last June. There is one large room with a very comfortable bed, full kitchen, dish washer, clothes washer (lines to dry clothes are strung out on the balcony), sitting area with couch and TV and a nice balcony overlooking the Main Street coming into Orient Village. We wake up, go out on the balcony, and can see people having breakfast at Good Morning. The bathroom with walk in shower is obviously in a separate room. Though the studio for some may be too modest it is prefect for our needs. We love the location with its proximity to grocery stores, restaurants and the beach.

Food
Our go to location for beach chairs, umbrella and dining last year was Le String on Orient Beach. We didn’t stray far from the experience this year. On our first day we walked down, said hello to the beach guy, John, and chose a location on the second row of chairs. We usually have a Carib each on ice, and a bottle of water. We walked up to the dining area and both of us had the sea bass. It was swimming in a creamy butter sauce, white, flaky and cooked to perfection. A chilled glass of rose always taste better in an island beach setting. The chairs and umbrella came at no cost but I gave John a $20 tip and asked him to reserve a place on the front row for us tomorrow. We came back to Le String several times during our stay, except for the days my wife didn’t feel well (I have a previous report on how we navigated all of that).

That first evening we ate a Sao in La Place du Village, each of us having sushi and a glass of wine. Rose for her and a Chardonnay for me. The service was very good, the food likewise and we like sitting right at the entrance of the restaurant with a nice view of the entire area. I wondered on several occasions how the tree that acts like a canopy over much of the seating area at Sao managed to survive during Irma. It’s quite a large tree and gives the restaurant and very cozy ambience. We only ate here once this trip unlike last year when we frequented it at least 4 times over two weeks.

Later in the week we ate at Le Bouchon and had lobster tacos, which turned out to be more like hors de oeuvres. They were good but we were still hungry so we ordered the brisket tacos. We shared a desert, I think crème brûlée. The Le Bouchon experience was one of our favorite, primarily because we again sat at a table right out along the front of the restaurant with another tree canopy above. It just felt very cozy. We sat next to a couple and though we usually don’t engage in a long conversation with others dining, we had a good time talking with them about our mutual travel experiences.

On the night before we left we ate at L’Atelier. We weren’t very hungry, as that afternoon we shared a cheese burger and fries at Le String, so we decided to share a 14 oz rib eye. It was preceded by a mixed green salad each. Our sides were mashed potatoes, veggies and truffle pasta. The truffle pasta was the highlight of the meal. So, so good. My wife has made it since we’ve been home with truffled Parmesan cheese in a shaker we bought at Costco. Her version came very close and was delicious.

Other food we had this trip was take out pizza from Bo Pizza. This time around we felt it was “ok”. We remember last year really enjoying it a lot. So maybe it was an off night. We’ll try it again in June. We ate a few times at Bikini Beach bar and cooked pasta in our studio one evening. Most mornings I’d go down to Good Morning for a couple croissants for breakfast. The apple is my fav. We had eggs in the studio a few mornings and each day we’d enjoy pour over coffee. I would brew it at night and we’d have it as ice coffee the next morning.

Pinel Island

We’ve been coming to SXM at least once a year since 2004 and this was our first visit to Pinel. We drove our car an easy 10 minutes to the parking area and in a few minutes the ferry loaded everyone on board and we made the 10 minute ride to the island. We had reserved beach chairs and umbrella at Yellow Beach online about a month before our trip. A beach attendant had our name on a clipboard and took us to our beach location. It was fun seeing SXM from this vantage point. There were several catamarans in the water beyond the beach and tables about 8 feet out from the water line where a number of beach dwellers would go out to congregate and enjoy drinks and smoke. We also made reservations to eat in the restaurant at Yellow Beach beforehand. We had codfish fritters and the barbecue ribs and chicken combo with fries. I had an Aperol spritz and my wife had rose. The food was good and the ambience of an open air seating area looking out to the beach, water and island beyond was beautiful. It rained off and on the whole time we were at Yellow Beach but it didn’t dampen the enjoyment we had while there.

We found things to be much busier in April than they were last June. Which makes sense as it still is high season. That did not take away from anything in the way of feeling relaxed and comfortable the whole time we were there. We just noticed a lot more people around than we did on our last trip. Interestingly, we saw less dogs and donkeys this trip than last June. Maybe because they stay away when there’s more people. We’ll be going back in June and can’t wait!!! Direct flight this time smile

SXM to MIA
Smooth travel. There were some medial students who were flying with dogs. One gal was sitting in the seat next to my wife and the dog was a bit spooked at times. They eventually moved then to a different seat toward the back.

MIA to SXM
We had a very stressful and tiring experience going through customs which I reported in an earlier post where I was asking help on the subject. The flight was smooth.

Thanks to Carol and Eric for hosting TTOL. We’ve learned so much about the island and how to navigate so many areas while there. So thanks also to all the TTOL members for your helpful trip reports and comments.
9 5 188 Read More
Yesterday at 08:48 PM Rum Gouvermeur Tour [by SXMScubaman]
Anybody been on this tour? New to me.
LINK
2 115 Read More
Yesterday at 07:04 PM We Made It/Arrival Update [by CaribLee]
Got in yesterday with a flight arrival of 2:45 p.m. There were two lines ahead of us and we didn't move for 20 minutes. However, once we did move, it went quickly. And our luggage was waiting on us when we got to the carousel. From the time we got in line to exiting the airport, it took about 35 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised. Now on to the vacation.
3 201 Read More
Yesterday at 06:48 PM Jellies at The Dogs. [by onlymedication]
We hit Great Dog this morning. We tried both the west side and the south side and found the jellies thick at both. They were small and not vicious stings, but enough that you didn’t want to keep getting stung.

At Bitter End now, hot and no breeze.
2 131 Read More
Yesterday at 12:05 PM Credit Card Insurance Coverage [by GaKaye]
Trip insurance, including medical coverage, was mentioned in an earlier thread. We're considering getting the AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard. It has a hefty annual fee, but includes membership in Admirals Club lounges, which would benefit us on domestic travel. We generally fly first class, so international travel gets us into the lounges, but domestic doesn't. The card also offers some type of insurance coverage, but details on that aren't available until after you're approved. So my question is, does anyone here have that card, and if so, can you share what the insurance coverage is? Thanks!
15 509 Read More
Yesterday at 07:33 AM Trip Report 5.3.24 [by cruzer]
The days continue to blur into one another and were it not for my IPhone camera, I would be drawing a complete blank on the last 4 days.

Monday was Patty Healing Hands Day. This has become a standard activity early in our trips, with Mrs. Cruzer doing a second one closer to the end of our stay. We did nothing the rest of the day in preparation for dinner at Spiga. As I fall into a rut at certain restaurants, I decided to try something different. A dish resembling Saltimbocca was on the menu, made with chicken instead of veal. My mistake. I just don’t care for chicken-based dishes that don’t have a flavorful sauce and go for beef-like prices. The melon with prosciutto and a balsamic reduction entree was tasty and the dessert of a hazelnut tiramisu was good. The tiny scoop of ice cream wasn’t adequate so we each ordered an additional 2 scoops. I’ll just go back to my favorite seafood medley over risotto next time.

Tuesday the skies open up and graced us with rain most of the day. I performed many “administrative” duties to fill the time. My sole food picture was of the Café’s poke bowl, so meals weren’t a big thing, I guess.

Wednesday we were going to eat at Fleur de Sel and pick up some supplies next door at SuperU. Nope, all of Hope Easte was shut down. Figured we’d go back to Le Taitu, but they weren’t open either. Seems like most of the French side shut down for the May Day Holiday. No food pictures so I don’t know what we ate. Saw a half-way decent sunset, finally.

Thursday was another do-nothing day, interrupted by Lunch at Ital’s and dinner at Bistrot Caraibbes. We generally do Ital’s prior to a nicer meal, as it fills us up, but wears off by dinner time. I can’t tell how many times I’ve ruined a nice dinner by over-snacking beforehand.

Breakfasts tend to be picking up 2 croissants and maybe a pain chocolat from Sunset Café, popping them in the oven to warm up, and eating them in front of our room overlooking the bay. I could make it perfect by getting some bacon, but that might take up limited lunch/dinner stomach capacity.

Today is Friday and the first of our annual 3-day owners’ gathering/meeting. This will be our second time attending. The meeting itself is just 3 hours, with a few meals tossed in. We get comped 3 nights. We will probably spend the entire time here socializing. Rough life, but someone has to do it.
14 3 379 Read More
Yesterday at 02:12 AM PJIA update [by SXMScubaman]

Simpson Bay, St. Maarten (May 2, 2024) – The Princess Juliana International Airport Operating Company N.V. (PJIAE) is thrilled to announce significant progress on the new terminal building project. Following the successful opening of the check-in area and departure hall in January 2024, the focus has now shifted to the completion of the much-anticipated Arrival Hall.
Passengers can look forward to a more welcoming and efficient arrival experience. The new Arrival Hall will include:
Improved baggage handling systems for faster retrieval
Streamlined immigration and customs processes to minimize waiting time
Enhanced passenger facilities for a more comfortable arrival
This phase III of construction aligns with PJIAE's commitment to optimizing passenger flow. By the end of the third quarter of 2024, the entire terminal building – including the Arrival Hall – will be operational, well in time for the peak holiday season which kicks off in November.
CEO Brian Ming comments: "I'm incredibly proud of everything our team has accomplished so far. We're now ready to start the countdown to our grand opening in November this year. In a few months from now our Princess will shine like a diamond. And St. Maarten will once again be one of the leading destinations in the region. More and more passengers will visit our beautiful island, and this will be beneficial for the whole community.”
Prioritizing a Seamless Travel Experience
PJIAE understands the importance of minimizing disruptions during this final phase. The team is dedicated to careful planning and collaboration to ensure ongoing airport operations are unaffected, and travelers continue to enjoy an -as smooth as possible- travel experience.
Gratitude for Continued Support
PJIAE extends its sincere gratitude to employees, travelers, and the entire airport community for their ongoing understanding and cooperation. Together, we are building a brighter future for Princess Juliana International Airport – "Reopening with Excellence."
Celebrate 80 years of Princess Juliana Airport
As the airport eagerly approaches its 80th birthday, preparations are underway for a royal celebration later in 2024. The milestone event is set to honor the airport's rich legacy of connecting people and cultures across the globe. With a blend of historical reverence and forward-looking optimism, the 80th birthday celebration will be a royal celebration, reflecting the airport's enduring commitment to innovation, efficiency, and sustainability in the years to come.
About Princess Juliana International Airport
Princess Juliana International Airport is the second busiest airport in the Northeast Caribbean and serves as a vital airport hub for Saba, St Eustatius, St Barthelemy, Anguilla, Dominica, Nevis, and Tortola. The airport stands as one of the largest employers on the island, with 315 workers employed directly and a total of 1700 workers within the entire airport community. In 2024, Sint Maarten Airport expects to handle 1.5 million passengers and 54,000 aircraft movements. Reconstruction efforts at the airport commenced in September 2021, with the new terminal hall scheduled for completion in Q3 of 2024.
24 743 Read More
05/02/2024 06:47 PM Another scooter tragedy [by SXMScubaman]
LINK
3 447 Read More
05/02/2024 04:47 PM Orient Beach [by DRich]
We will be at Orient Beach for ten days in about two weeks. Just wondering how the seaweed is this year in comparison to previous years?
1 377 Read More
05/02/2024 12:36 PM Why no ferries from CA to road town today? [by tangerine3]
Friends flight today delayed and rerouted now won't get in to stt till 4. I have been to all sites I can think of for later ferries and can't seem to find any to road town from Charlotte or red hook am I missing something? We leave on charter tomorrow and we have a sleep aboard tonight does anybody know any ferries today that leave at five or five thirty from St Thomas to road town or west end, thank you
16 606 Read More