erb923 14
Member Spotlight
caribbeangirl13
caribbeangirl13
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
Today's Birthdays
CaptianCluck, DolfinFan
Who's Online Now
14 members (SANFILIP, MNsnowbird, SXMBND, SXMNAN, Speebs, marybeth, jazzgal, davidandsusannj, StMartinFan, eightzerobits, 4 invisible), 989 guests, and 97 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#325071 10/13/2024 09:40 AM
dolfer Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Checked in yesterday and I am not impressed. Yes the placeis is upscale and modern but walking into the lobby to check in I was unable to hear the clerk over the music. They had not acknowledged my request for a west wing room and placed us directly in front of Nowhere Special. Loud music kept my daughter awake until 2 AM. We called The front desk this morning and asked for a different room and they’ve given us a bunch of rigmarole. Told us maybe sometime this week we could move. Nonsense

we went to the pool last night and we were immediately assaulted by loud TV poolside. A shoot-em up bang bang movie, no seats at the bar and poor service for inferior drink. again, not impressed.

standby for more later.

Dolfer

SXM Sponsors
dolfer Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
I know I sound like a crotchety old man, but so be it. This resort is obviously for a, younger crowd.

Dolfer

Traveler
Traveler
Originally Posted by dolfer
I know I sound like a crotchety old man, but so be it. This resort is obviously for a, younger crowd.
Having stayed at Royal Palm many times, it has never been what I would consider a "younger crowd". Yes, as older "owners" pass along or give up their time share, you will see younger people. I am 68 and many times I have been there, I see many people older than me. We have friends who own 2 of the top floor penthouse units and one of them is in their early 80's.

While I would not apricate the situation you described, perhaps asking again in a nice manner or asking to speak to the manager might produce some better results. The pool bar is somewhat unique but I have never had much more the mediorce service there. That is what you get when a 15% service charge is built into the prices.

J.D.
Traveler
Traveler
"That is what you get when a 15% service charge is built into the prices."
So true of many places.

Traveler
Traveler
It's been a while since I've stayed there, but I surely don't remember RP as being for a younger crowd either. I agree with JD, complain, early and often, to get them to move your room. I honestly can't imagine that they are full right now.

Carol Hill
dolfer Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
well the younger assessment was based on the loud rock ‘n’ roll music and the loud TV and the presence of very few older people last night so that’s just a short impression

we have complained to the management politely, and they have said that they can try and accommodate us by either moving us to another room or moving to the flamingo but at this point, we’ve just gotten groceries and I think we’re here for the duration, we’ll make the best of it

(don’t get me wrong. I love loud rock ‘n’ roll music.)

Dolfer

S
Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
S
Go to the Flamingo.

E
Traveler
Traveler
E
I agree, this isn't New Orleans on Mardi Gras or Las Vegas, one should be able to get a good nights sleep without music blasting until 2am!

N
Traveler
Traveler
N
That happened to us once in Fort Lauderdale and we got the same runaround from the hotel.
I went to our room for my JBL mobile bluetooth speaker, returned to a seat in the lobby near reception and paired it to my 'phone and played Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture at full volume.
We got the manager within five minutes and were offered an alternative room before the climactic sound of cannon fire was heard.
To be fair the manager was very decent about it and apologised for his staff's refusal to consider our request to be moved.
Never let the tail wag the dog.

Link Copied to Clipboard