erb923 17
Member Spotlight
CdnCouple
CdnCouple
Ontario, Canada
Today's Birthdays
ethel52, islander97150, islandlove, Seaboundhome
Who's Online Now
8 members (ARC, Todd_Melinda_K, Latadjust, MrEZgoin, 706jim, louismcc, 2 invisible), 858 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#324734 10/02/2024 02:04 PM
VT_SXM Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Hello all and apologies in advance as I am sure this is a previously discussed topic but I didn't see a search feature for the boards and I also apologize if it is a verboten subject! I am re-engaging the TTOL boards for SXM after many years as we have decided to make our first return visit to the island since 2015 in late December this year for a week after having previously gone at least once yearly since the early 1990s.

I know lots has changed since 2015, so I was looking for recommendations on car rentals. I see the TTOL Sponsors and know Kenny's was always highly recommended in years past. I had also used Unity (Michael) and Paradise over the years we went to SXM consistently. On a SXM Facebook group I saw Hardy's and Exclusive recommended a lot. But figured I would ask here where the SXM experts reside!

I was hoping to get an SUV since there will be 4 of us and I am really tall (6'6") so the sedans or smaller cars aren't great for me or the person sitting behind me! Would like to have airport pickup and drop-off if possible. Also was hoping for a company with a fleet that is in decent condition as the last few years of renting cars on some other islands we have visited have had us in some extremely dated and run down vehicles.

Thanks for your help!

SXM Sponsors
L
Traveler
Traveler
L
Kenny's car rental. We changed to Kenny's after reading about Lesley and Shirley here and have never gone back to anyone else. Their customer service is top notch.

1 member likes this: VT_SXM
S
Traveler
Traveler
S
AAA has the vehicle type you're looking for.

Traveler
Traveler
I agree, Kenny's.

Dolfer

Traveler
Traveler
I have used HertzSXM for my most recent trips because they include liability in their quote; it's not an add-on. However, a friend recently reserved with Leisure at a very low rate so I checked them out just for grins. Turns out for my four weeks this November, they were over $300 less than Hertz, even with adding in the liability. I reserved with Leisure and cancelled Hertz.

[Linked Image]
Traveler
Traveler
That is a good saving but I'll probably stick with Hertz for our May trip as I have had a great relationship with them over the 20+ past years.

E
Traveler
Traveler
E
Do you want the rental car to pick you up at the airport? Have only done SIXT/Hertz and they have a van to their office, they both offer SUV's. I believe the SIXT has the nicest fleet.

Really just look online for pricing and see what works.

Traveler
Traveler
Thanks Folks for your loyal continued support , however in our fleet we dont carry the big Suvs due to cost factor in investment and demand issue .
Thanks once again.

VT_SXM Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
@Kennys, I wouldn't need a big SUV, medium size would be fine. I'll check your website and contact you today.

VT_SXM Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Thanks everyone for the replies! Seems like there are plenty of options when I searched online, but I am glad to get the firsthand experience of all of you with more recent rental experiences. Maybe I am crazy, but a rental car company with great customer service to hit the ground running as soon as we arrive on the island can just set a nice tone for the whole trip. Looking forward to our long overdue return to SXM and I am sure I will have some more inquiries and utilize everyone's expertise in the coming months before departing. As I mentioned above, I am sure there are lots of changes since our last visit.

Traveler
Traveler
Thanks .

Traveler
Traveler
For us, it wouldn't feel right if we walked out of the terminal and didn't see Lesley's smiling face.

Dolfer

B
Traveler
Traveler
B
Agree with Dolfer.

Link Copied to Clipboard