Colour1 18
bdeeley 16
erb923 15
Member Spotlight
pasnyder
pasnyder
Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Who's Online Now
3 members (mark37, 2 invisible), 1,358 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
C
Hi fellow Canadians,

FYI aircraft changes, stripped down flight

Two weeks ago, Westjet changed my yyz to sxm flight. The email didn't mention much.

Yesterday, i noticed i LOST my extended seat upgrade, and that the new option already jumped from $88 to $135? Or so. There is a new flight number too.

In the middle of the pacific night, wj 1800# would not connect so thanks to reddit, i dialled their local number and rang straight thru. The first csa said i would have to pay more or refund...option 3 was to callback to escalate.

I called an hour later. This csa said i was in extended comfort seat though wj seat selection map did not show both sides were extended comfort seats. Luckily she move me to starboard side so we are confirmed this new 737-800 flight is the service i upgraded to.

Also new info, wj bought the lynks old planes. For now, Sxm flights do not offer hot food for purchase or internet. I am not sure if this means no IFE. There were a few more inconsequential loss of perks.

Note: for internet, I use Boingo, free 12 hrs/yr with my cc.

SXM Sponsors
C
Traveler
Traveler
C
We got an email last week from Westjet but it was just a change to two of the flight numbers.

B
Traveler
Traveler
B
I got the same email just the flight numbers changed.

Traveler
Traveler
What were the dates that Westjet changed your aircraft? We are going twice this winter and so far only a flight # change.

Traveler
Traveler
Yes, this happened to me, too. In dealing with it, I discovered that all WestJet flights between YYZ and SXM will be renumbered as of October 31st. The downward flight will be WS2276 instead of WS2652 and the return flight will be WS2277 instead of WS2653. I'm not sure what the logic was that caused WestJet to make this change. In the dozen years since I have been coming to SXM the flight numbers were always the same.

I was originally scheduled to fly to SXM on Sunday, January 12th in Premium. Usually the notice is just a slight change in the flight departure or arrival times. Not this time. When I noticed the flight number change, I checked to make sure I was still going to SXM, since when I looked up that flight number it is currently between Calgary and Cabo. Then I also noticed that my seat was now showing as Economy.

Since I am WestJet elite, I wondered how I had been bumped down to Economy. So I went into my booking and checked the seat plan. There were no Premium seats on this flight, only Economy! As it turns out, due to the delay in receiving more Max 8s from Boeing, plus the hailstorm damage to some of its fleet in Calgary, WestJet is deploying former Swoop and Lynx Air 737s on some flights. They are all single-class aircraft. So far, my return flight on February 4th has only had the flight number changed. I will keep my fingers crossed.

I worked with customer service and was able to switch my downward flight to Friday, January 10th, which still has Premium seating showing, as did the Tuesday, January 14th flight. Now I just have to hope that they don't screw around with my new flight. If they do, I will cancel my flight and cease using WestJet. I have no idea what was going through their minds in eliminating Premium seating on a 5-hour flight, where seat comfort is more important. On a short-haul flight between Calgary and Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Vancouver it wouldn't matter so much. SMH.

Traveler
Traveler
Me too, we are flying YYZ to SXM Jan 21/25 to Jan 30/25......flight number changes only. My daughter is flying Jan 24-31/2025, flight number changes also,,,,,we had both just chose regular seating, so not much will change for us, hopefully.

Randy and Meg Young
C
Traveler
Traveler
C
I am a Westjet elite also but our booked premium seats for all flights from Nanaimo to SXM return did not change, just some flight numbers, don't know why they would change the numbers.

J
Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
J
Same for us. Our flight out of Toronto is Dec1 with return Jan 7. Both flights are currently on Next-Generation 737-800 with premium seating, and all of the usual amenities. We are hoping it stays that way.

C
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
C
Cc, your seat #s did not change, but i am banking on both of us now being in economy. The seat selection map does not show added fees for my seat which strongly implies economy leg room.

I have verbal confirmation my seat is extended comfort... time will tell.

And yes, I too am no longer favouring wj or their WE credit card.

Link Copied to Clipboard