erb923 17
Member Spotlight
CdnCouple
CdnCouple
Ontario, Canada
Today's Birthdays
ethel52, islander97150, islandlove, Seaboundhome
Who's Online Now
10 members (ARC, Todd_Melinda_K, Latadjust, MrEZgoin, 706jim, louismcc, Kennys, 3 invisible), 800 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#324110 09/07/2024 06:49 PM
B
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
B
I know this post might not have consensus amongst many but it is my experience and opinion of my last visit to Mullet. Let me begin by stating I love Mullet Bay Beach…I believe it’s hands down the best beach in SXM for many reasons. Our last visit on Thursday was perfect…for a while. There were some boats and catamarans anchored close by and the beach was quite full. I have never seen it like this with the boats. Everybody was enjoying the beach and having a good time, I believe they were there on tours from the cruise ships. Then…a boat came in and decided to anchor where we and a few others were swimming, asking us to move so he could anchor. We were breast high in the water and thought it was a little too close to the swimming crowd. My husband told him he wouldn’t move plus he was too close to the swimmers making it dangerous as he was backing up to us. What gives him the right to dictate to the people there to move and make space for his boat?!? Things got a little out of hand at that point with both the “captain” and my husband beginning to curse at each other, of course not respecting the persons (children) on board. While there were other boats nearby, none were close to the swimmers.

My issue is if one boat “parks” this close just so his passengers can enjoy the drink offerings whilst they are enjoying a swim in the beautiful beach…how long before the other boats and catamarans begin doing the same? It’s fine for them to come and enjoy themselves but it shouldn’t make the others that are actually contributing by renting chairs/umbrellas and buying drinks and food from the restaurants uncomfortable by having to “swim” or “hang out” between the boats. I know some may like to enjoy the company and “free drinks” offered by the boat “captains” but little by little the beach is being taken over.

Like I said, this is the first time I experience this at Mullet and hopefully the last. Hopefully there will be parameters set up as to stop them from going beyond where they need to be. I am posting pictures so you can be the judge. I am easy going but I like to swim amongst swimmers not boats and I’m afraid that is what we are heading to.

Attached Images
IMG_0969.jpeg IMG_0975.jpeg
SXM Sponsors
Traveler
Traveler
Having been there just a week or so ago, I saw a few cats come in and anchor but nothing obtrusive like you witnessed. I am not at all saying it did not happen as it appears it did. The boats coming in need to be respectful and I would have likely taken the same stance as your husband did. Mullet Bay seems to be a very popular spot, along with Simpson Bay, since Maho has little or no sand but any incoming vessel needs to show respect to swimmers and those enjoying the beach.

J.D.
Traveler
Traveler
There is an unwritten rule as to how close to shore these guys can drop anchor. He clearly broke that rule!! Good for your husband to stand his ground!! What we've seen, some have a little dinghy and come to shore that way!

Sand Gravity, got to love it!
Traveler
Traveler
Just this week at Mullet a boat was pulling in and people in the water said they would move, the captain said it was not necessary but appreciated the offer
he was more concerned about those in the water
this was a captain on his day off in his personal craft

he threw out beers to many in the water as a kind gesture

there is usually plenty of space towards Kaluta for a boat to dock

Traveler
Traveler
Hi. I can't tell from the picture, did the boat appear to be a purely private boat, or one with paying passengers onboard? If it was a boat with paying passengers, I might think about contacting the company and complaining. I think you were correct to attempt to stay where you were.

Carol Hill
Traveler
Traveler
At The Baths on Virgin Gorda, the boat traffic is so heavy that a line of bouys were put out to keep the boats from coming in where the swimmers are. Something like this may be eventually needed at Mullet Bay Beach.

B
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
B
Hi, it was a boat with paying passengers. I spoke to one of the passengers, all from the states and all were on a cruise ship. I don’t think it would really matter as the “captain” was very willing to give his name and the vessel’s name as I took the picture. He acts as though he has every right and even told my husband that his name was all over the island, where was his! The way I saw it is he parks that close for the convenience of his passengers getting continuous drinks without having to have to swim to the boat to get them. Probably gets good reviews from them as everybody was happily drinking. We were offered drinks which my husband refused.

And yes, mahokid, there were boats parked on that end of the beach. It appeared to be roped off, maybe for that purpose. But this one came into the area in front of Da Waterhole, where plenty of people were swimming. Most moved away and some just left the beach.

I, also believe the unwritten rule was broken. Hopefully he’s the only jerk and others won’t feel privileged to do the same!

Traveler
Traveler
Why not share his name and the boats name so others can watch out for this type of behavior. If it becomes continuous than a few choice letters to the editor of the Daily Herald and some complaints to the visitors bureau might go a long way to curb this behavior.

Be Happy! Simply because you deserve to be. 😁
bdeeley #324129 09/08/2024 10:14 AM
B
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
B
I normally don’t like to call people out but you’re right…The boat is Calico Jack, as seen on the back of it in pic. And his name is “Captain” Miguel as he pointed out to us. Island born and raised, not of Spanish descent as his name might suggest, also explained to us.

Traveler
Traveler
I would contact the company. You might be surprised at the response.

Carol Hill
kim Offline
Traveler
Traveler
Interesting. Today the coast guard was in Mullet Bay. Back and forth then what looked like chasing the guys that rent jet skis. No idea why or what. But about 39 minutes later the guys came back with the jet skis. They could def outrun the coastguard boat.

L
Traveler
Traveler
L
Definitely contact the company. I feel like a lot of those who cater to the cruise ship crowd feel like they have some sort of carte blanche. I hate that!

Traveler
Traveler
privatechartersxm.com has a boat that's named Calico Jack and it looks like the one in the picture.

[Linked Image]

If life hands you a lemon, just squeeze it on a lobster!
kim #324233 09/13/2024 05:34 AM
Traveler
Traveler
These jet skiers may think they can out run the coast guard, but they have super powerful zodiac boats that can out run any jet ski any day!! You are not fooling around with the coast guard!! In April, they were on maneuvers from the bridge to BSV in full gear and exited the beach at BSV and marched back to their base at the marina!! These guys/gals are as tough as it gets!!

Attached Images
Dutch coast gard  at BSV 11-23.jpg SXM Coast guard (03-24).jpg zodiac.jpg

Sand Gravity, got to love it!

Link Copied to Clipboard