bdeeley 24
Colour1 22
dolfer 20
Member Spotlight
gordapeak
gordapeak
Maryland, US
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Who's Online Now
12 members (WWII, deliveryskipper, JerseyPal, Todd_Melinda_K, xrayman67, MrEZgoin, BoatGuy, kazanu, 4 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Murdock Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
M
Good day all...it's been a while since we have considering taking another BVI boat trip....but wife has finally gotten the bug to go back thankfully....it also looks like charter boat pricing has relaxed somewhat too.

I would be most grateful to hear what you all think might be one of the best day of week to start a charter....

No one really likes stress right, but just having a more peaceful, relaxing, slower morning at the dock with fewer people checking out/in is more important to me than ever before.

With previous charters we'd typically fly in on a Saturday, do a sleep-aboard and try to make it off the dock as early as we could on Sunday morning. The sleep-aboard helped speed things up, with the various checklists, and getting food/drinks stowed, but it was still a very busy time for Moorings staff with all the other charterers coming and going.

So, with all of the above....what day(s) do you think are best to start/end a charter? Maybe mid week Wed-Wed? (I'd guess we do 7 or 8 nights on the boat)

FYI - I am certainly not opposed to using another charter company, but I wanted to start the process with Moorings first and then look for alternative options like TMM or Waypoints (USVI and BVI).

Thanks in advance!

BVI Sponsors
Traveler
Traveler
Tuesday to Thursday are the best starting times. More important than the Moorings dock it gets you out of the knot of weekend starts if you are doing the usual CCW routing so I would suggest it with any company.

B
Traveler
Traveler
B
We are frequent Moorings travelers (powercat). As you suggest Wed to Wed hitting Anegada over the weekend. We also like Friday to Monday if you can swing a couple of more days.

This keeps us off cycle with the other boaters to the harbors. We usually do sleep aboard but get down early enough and have a great relationship with base that they let us out that evening. We are on the DCA - SJU - Island Birds to EIS flight and the DCA to SJU flight gets us in around 12 noon. Dont know about that TN flight. Some of our crew did the MIA EIS flight.

M
Murdock Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
M
Hey thank you all for this.....exactly what I was looking for.....yeah...the MIA to EIS flight looks interesting...

from Nashville's BNA, it looks like the quickest/easiest/cheapest path is to STT (2 flights - connect in Charlotte - and arrive around noon) but then there's the ferry....which isn't a bad thing - just another step....

I'll look into Island Birds....we have used Fly BVI in the past for bigger groups.

I wanted to hear about those start days first - so thanks again!!!!

B
Traveler
Traveler
B
We used to do the STT ferry but seemed to become more of a hassle and flying out of STT left us stranded frequently so switched to SJU. If you leave through STT arrive early and pay a porter to get you through. Island Birds is great of you have 5 or 9 or just below. Remember your private charter ticket doesnt include the $50 pp exit fee. We (8 of us) just flew them a couple of weeks ago and it worked out well because one of our party flying from Richmond was late and they waited. In April I took Silver (as it was just me) on the SJU to EIS leg and was impressed with their new planes. Also with Island birds you have private customs coming back. I prefer SJU customs vs Miami.

Sometimes we stay at Marias by the Sea right next to Moorings base

Congrats on your wife...unfortunately mine is going in the other direction so looks like we are doing her Safari next year vs my idea of going to the National Zoo and then BVI

All IMHO

Link Copied to Clipboard