Jan. 22, Lemon Cays
We set out after breakfast for the Lemon Cays and dog Island, where there is a near shore wreck that you can snorkel on. Most of these islands are very close to each other and with the prevalence of reefs we chose to motor over rather than sail.
[Linked Image]
Dog Island

There were quite a few day trippers from either the mainland or nearby islands on the beach when we arrived, but it wasn’t crowded at all. I had originally thought that the San Blas Islands could only be accessed by boat, but I am learning that getting and staying here is pretty easy as long as you don’t mind roughing it. They have small dome type tents for on dog Island which you can rent for $7 a night per person. You can buy drinks here and food, until it runs out.
[Linked Image]
The beach on Dog Island

We all snorkeled on the wreck, the water was clear and the waves very mild. I took some video which I will try to post at a later date. The wreck is an old steel ship that crashed onto the reef in the 1950’s, it is partially crusted in coral and the boilers are still identifiable; there were some colorful fish swimming about and hiding in the many nooks and crannies. We inquired at the beach shack if food was available but they were out; the man called over to Diablo Island across the channel and they had fish meals so he gave us a ride over in his panga.
[Linked Image]
Cabanas for rent on the island next to Dog Island

The open air bar/restaurant was decorated in graffiti from previous visitors and they also have accommodations available on the island. I saw some young French girls on the beach and asked them about it, they said a private cabana was $45 pp and dormitory style was $30 pp both plans include three meals a day. Our lunch arrived, fish served with plantains, rice and cole slaw. It was nicely prepared and filling, the beers were cold also.
[Linked Image]
A young French tourist relaxes on the beach with a book, they are staying on the island in the dormatory style cabanas

Back at the boat we all just lounged around; Arvil had some friends on a ketch from South Africa that were in a nearby anchorage so they came by in their dingy to take Marita and him back to visit. I had volunteered to make dinner so I started my preparations. I made chicken in wine sauce with angel hair pasta and Kim made some sweet and sour red cabbage with apples as a side; the meal was a hit with the crew and everyone left the table stuffed.
After the washing up was finished we retired to the cockpit for our nightly ritual of Captain Bligh and some chatting. I stayed on deck for a while after everyone else had gone to bed, and just sat up at the bow admiring the many stars above until clouds obscured the view.

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!