Member Spotlight
Beansbbq
Beansbbq
New Hampshire
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
897, CathyandDanny, islanddoc, Showdavid
Who's Online Now
10 registered members (Manpot, WWII, Lionsail, ARC, LINNY, TRIM, 4 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 307 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grenadines vs Exumas Opinions Please! #30444
12/15/2014 02:57 PM
12/15/2014 02:57 PM
Alberta
capn_mark Offline OP
Traveler
capn_mark  Offline OP
Traveler
Alberta
Hi Gang!

I need to finalize our Easter trip and I would really appreciate some opinions from those of you who have sailed both the Grenadines and the Exumas. First a little travel history:

The Exuma Islands are the favorite of our family. We have sailed extensively in the Bahamas on our own boat years ago and also on charter cats (Exumas, Eleuthera, Berrys, Grand B, The Raggeds, Rum, Cat, etc). We love the lack of crowds (except in Nassau of course), and the challenge of provisioning is not an issue. Because this will be late March early April the weather in the Bahamas is typically great. If it were a February trip, I would choose the Caribbean. We have been to Puerto Rico and SVI’s and have sailed the USVI, and BVI’s a few times, and I am not interested in going back to the VI’s at this point.

I am planning a 3 week Easter trip, and an awesome option would be our favorite stuff – couple of days at Atlantis, 11 day charter on a cat through the Exumas, then rent a place on one of the Exuma beaches for a few days.

OR, do we try something new and do a one way southerly charter from St Lucia / Vincent and the Grenadines to Grenada?

So what do you think? For those of you that have been both places, what would you choose? - Is it worth skipping our favorite place to try something new in the Caribbean, or stick to what we know will be a great? My boys are 14, 11 and 11 and we love fishing, snorkelling and beaching. Thank you!

Sponsors
Re: Grenadines vs Exumas Opinions Please! [Re: capn_mark] #30445
12/16/2014 07:56 AM
12/16/2014 07:56 AM
Annapolis
Eva Offline
Traveler
Eva  Offline
Traveler
Annapolis
Having done both, I would choose the Exumas -- though you can't go wrong with either. I loved the Grenadines, but I ache for the Exumas -- although I will say that the weather last spring was rough. But you know what to expect.

The Grenadines are terrific, and they offer a much more dramatic landscape compared to the Bahamas. Lush green peaks, palm trees, etc. The passages between islands can be longer and more challenging, and the anchorages are a bit more roll-y. There are a handful of Bahama-quality beaches, as well, so you wouldn't be foregoing that. The islanders are more reserved than Bahamians, and I would say that you are a bit safer (crime-wise) in the Bahamas.

I've got a Caribbean Soul I can barely control... (JB)

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva