Our first two trips were via a cruise ships - 1982 and 1993. In 1982 Backstreet was just a dirt street. The West Indies Tavern had yet to burn down.

Our first stay, not on a cruise, was in 1997. We had fun going around the island, got lost on the back side of Philipsburg,(yes you can get briefly lost), and spent an entire day just checking out the beaches on our map. The first time we drove in to Friar's Beach, you almost needed a 4wd and we thought for sure we missed a turn off and had the wrong road. We have been devotees of Friar's ever since.

The island had experienced several days of heavy rain just before our stay in 1997. As our taxi drove down the huge water filled, pot-hole road to Beachside Villas (which is now paved), I remember thinking, "What did I get us into?". Once again, we have been devotees to BSV ever since.

I remember eating at Turtle Pier, Boathouse, SSBB, Bar de la Mer, and Friar's. The market of choice for us was the old Rams at Cole Bay, or the old Ospay in Simpson Bay. Grocery variety was not nearly like it is now, in my opinion.

We were there only 10 days, and as we flew out, I had tears in my eyes - we had such a good time. I told my husband I wanted to come back again. We have been back every year except 2000.

PamJ