dolfer 17
Member Spotlight
Zanshin
Zanshin
St. Lucia
Today's Birthdays
Margie, philuann, Roe
Who's Online Now
40 members (taraavo, maineskier69, jbutah, bkigar, Leagle49, GeorgeC1, CaroleS, xrayman67, Jerry_R, toast, geomo, JeanneB, Kennys, lcote, davidandsusannj, PattyM, Zanshin, ndfaninnc, NumberCruncher, cooch366, bbeach, steve74, Uksimonusa, Sea_Skyman, BillDauterive, eightzerobits, sprockyrocky, SXMBND, SteveH, Sunnysideup, MNsnowbird, 9 invisible), 1,115 guests, and 146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#324798 10/03/2024 10:20 PM
R
radelow Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
R
Hi everyone!!! Going to be returning to BVI this April after many years (10!)... Our kids are finally old enough to enjoy so time to go!!! Previously we barehanded a 60' monohull. This time we are barehanding a 48' cat with friends who have never been. We will be 8 people. So excited to get back!!! Just wanted to see if anyone had any input on our itinerary and if I am missing something. We are doing a mix of places we have been and places we haven't.

Day 1 - Road Town to Norman Island
Day 2 - Norman Island to Cooper Island
Day 3 - Cooper Island to Leverick Bay (Dive the Rhone in the AM)
Day 4 - Leverick Bay (full day to do Baths, dive the Kodiak Queen)
Day 5 - Leverick Bay > Anegada (new to us)
Day 6 - Anegada (figure a full day is worth it since it's quite a sail to get there)
Day 7 - Anegada > Jost Van Dyck (new to us)
Day 8 - Jost Van Dyck > Road Town

Norman Island is a must do for us as I just love the Willy T. Cooper Island is a maybe but I just recall having such a nice time there last time. But it's a good jumping off point to dive the Rhone but we did it last time so don't absolutely HAVE TO. We really liked Virgin Gorda and there is a lot for the kids (Baths, go visit the old Run Distillery, dinner at Saba Rock, etc. etc. Very excited about Anegada and Jost Van Dyck as they are new to us!

Anyways, any input is always appreciated!!! Thanks!

Last edited by radelow; 10/03/2024 10:23 PM.
BVI Sponsors
radelow #324799 10/04/2024 08:22 AM
Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
On day two dive the Rhône enroute to Cooper. If you use Sail Caribbean for the gear you can swap tanks at Cooper. On day three dive the Kodiak Queen enroute to Leverick. Dont spend two nights at Leverick. Do the first night at Saba or BEYC than move over to Leverick. The sail to Anegada is not long. 14 miles or about two hours. Leave at 8 and their by 10 AM. Next day leave and overnight at Cane Garden Bay with a lunch stop at Guana/Monkey point. This will give you more time to explore the JVD area.

P.S. There is better diving at the dogs than the Kodiak Queen. You can quite easily do a dive at both enroute to Leverick. The dogs also provides nice snorkeling for non divers.

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 10/04/2024 08:32 AM.
radelow #324817 10/04/2024 03:59 PM
V
Traveler
Traveler
V
I agree with George about doing the first night in the North Sound at either BEYC or Saba, and then heading over to Leverick the morning of the second day for your full exploring day on Virgin Gorda.

No need to do 2 nights on the dock at Leverick.

For your full day exploring VG you will either need to rent a safari truck and drive yourself, or hire a taxi driver. I prefer renting the safari truck and being on my own schedule (it also ends up being cheaper than the taxi). But if you're looking for a taxi to take you around VG then Sweet Ice Willie is your man.

I would also add that they have finished the new lookout tower at Gorda Peak, and it is absolutely beautiful. About a 20-25minute hike from the start of the trail to the lookout tower.

Finally, I personally absolutely love the full day on Anegada. I love going out with Sherwin of Sherwin Sea Adventures in the morning for his conch island tour, snorkeling, and fresh conch ceviche at the end. Always a very memorable experience.

Last edited by VirginGordaResident; 10/04/2024 04:01 PM.
radelow #325362 10/18/2024 10:24 AM
Traveler
Traveler
On Anegada we rented a jeep (little truck w/ seats in back) and drove to Loblolly. Big fun

radelow #325369 10/18/2024 01:00 PM
Traveler
Traveler
This is pretty much our typical itinerary when we have newbies on board and the one the adult kids want to do when they come down. Adaptations I would make...

Day 1 - Road Town to Norman Island
Day 2 - Norman Island to Cooper Island (Snorkel the Indians in the morning and then snorkel Cistern Point when you get to Cooper)
Day 3 - Cooper Island to Saba Rock or Bitter End (Dive the Rhone in the AM)
Day 4 - Leverick Bay (full day to do Baths, dive the Kodiak Queen)
Day 5 - Leverick Bay > Anegada (new to us)
Day 6 - Anegada-Jost Van Dyke (Get up early and stop by Diamond Cay on your way to Great or Little Harbor. Lots to do here...hike to Bubbly Pool, get a drink at Foxy's Taboo, go over to BLine for a drink, explore Sandy Spit. You can even spend the night here if you want.)
Day 7 - Jost Van Dyke: Great Harbor (Get a ball in Great Harbor through Boaty Ball as there are not very many FCFS balls anymore. Take a cab, or the dinghy if it is calm, and spend the day at White Bay.
Day 8 - Jost Van Dyke > Road Town

Notes:
Leverick can be rolly so no reason to spend 2 nights there when you can go to Saba or Bitter End. If you get a ball at either place you can dinghy over to the other.
If you get up early to leave North Sound you get to Anegada with plenty of time to explore the island. We rent a car and typically pick it up around noon which gives us plenty of time to go to Cow Wreck (Anne's Tipsy is the new hot spot) and Anegada Beach Club. If you budget your time you can also hit Loblolly. We typically have so much fun at the other 2 we don't make it to Loblolly. We typically don't spend 2 days here because it requires us to rent a car again for the 2nd day and we've seen it all the first day. Jost has so much to offer it would be a shame to only spend part of a day there. It takes longer to get from Anegada to Jost than it does to get from North Sound to Anegada. In Anegada make sure to pick your dinner place before you go to the beaches and put your dinner order in. They require you to preorder.

Another thought is to fit in Marina Cay even for just a day stop. The snorkeling there has been the best we have seen in awhile.

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
radelow #325463 Yesterday at 04:29 PM
R
radelow Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
R
Thank you! All great info!!! smile