bdeeley 25
Colour1 22
dolfer 20
Member Spotlight
megamania
megamania
Harriston
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Who's Online Now
6 members (Zanshin, road3682, mark37, IWIWSE, stevel13, 1 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#325226 10/16/2024 09:11 AM
A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Hi everyone,
My first (very long) post was deleted during the hack last night. I was able to read a few replies, but they were since deleted too.

Long story, short:
I'm looking for some of the bucket list type things for my 15 year old daughter and I to experience on our quick 4 day trip. We're staying on Rue de Coralita on the East side of the island. We're both very active and don't like sitting still too long.

Snippets of what were planning so far:
Renting a car
Creole Rock snorkel tour
Kayak to Pinel Island
Various sightseeing hikes
Sunset dinner at Calmos
Breakfast at L'Escale

I'd like to know what are the musts for our first time on the island so we can soak it all in. And what should we avoid?

Thanks in advance!

SXM Sponsors
Traveler
Traveler
annie--sorry about the deleted post.

Regarding things to avoid, I guess that brings up the topic of crime. Crime exists, even in SXM. For the most part, do not go anywhere late at night--say 1-2AM. Nothing good happens that late at night, especially for two women alone. Also, do not EVER leave ANYTHING in your car, at ANY TIME, at ANY place. Ask your car rental guy whether you should lock the car or not. Our general rule has been that we never lock the car, so that if the crum bums want to examine the car to see if there's anything they can steal, they can look and not damage the car. Also, especially after night, watch how you carry your purse, so that someone can't run by and snatch it. Weed isn't legal, but is available, I guess. I wouldn't know. But be careful with alcohol and everything else and try not to over do it. Do feel free to drive around the island during the day. However, at night, please try to stay in 'tourist' areas and stay away from Sandy Ground, in particular.

Enjoy your trip!

Carol Hill
Traveler
Traveler
Since you are renting a car how about spending a day of driving and visiting many different beaches and areas of the island. You can still start off your morning with breakfast at L'Escale and end your day with dinner at Calmos.

You could hit 3 or 4 beaches, like Orient, Friar's Bay(have lunch), Bay Rouge, Mullet Beach, Maho or others of the 32 additional beaches on the island. You can walk the beaches and swim some without renting chairs and parking yourself on any one beach for the day. If you visit Friar's Bay you could do a short hike and visit Happy Bay and back. You could really get a taste of the island and a feel for the beaches.

Be Happy! Simply because you deserve to be. 😁

[Linked Image]
A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Thank you for the information. Good tip on the car door lock. That makes sense.

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Great info! I'm a long-drive commuter on the day-to-day, so I have no problem driving all over to experience everything. And we definitely plan to visit as many beaches as possible. The Happy Bay visit was on my original post, but I forgot to mention it here. frown Thank you!

P
Traveler
Traveler
P
You don't mention exactly where on Rue de Coralita you are staying. This is a long stretch of road that runs from Oyster Pond all the way into Quarter d'Orleans and a large part of it is very sparsely populated. I often walk it in the mornings, and while the view of the ocean is spectacular, it is quite desolate between the two ends.

That being said, I'm guessing that you might be staying in Oyster Pond proper. If so, there will be restaurants that you can walk to at night. If you feel comfortable giving a specific locale, we can then make some specific recommendations.

LeAnn

url=https://www.tickerfactory.com][Linked Image][/url]
A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
We'll be staying off the Etang aux Poissons, closer to Quarter d'Orleans. I didn't imagine walking to any establishment would be feasible from there. I'll still take recommendations for the Oyster Pond area though! I'm looking for any tried and true suggestions.

Last edited by anniefromks; 10/16/2024 12:21 PM.
Traveler
Traveler
Sounds like a very local area. I hope you have a secure place to park your car?

Carol Hill
A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
With some of these comments, I'm wondering if we should even come.

Traveler
Traveler
Annie,

Don't let some of the comments worry you. Common sense and just being aware of your surroundings will stand you in good steed, be it in your home town, on the island of SXM or visiting the Vatican. Go and have fun, both you and your daughter. Don't try and pack in too much since you are only there for 4 days. You don't want to be so busy running from task to task that you lose sight of your surroundings, the beauty of the island and beaches, and interacting with the people. BE FLEXIBLE.

[Linked Image]
A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Thank you for the encouragement. And for the packing light reminder. smile We're going to have a great time!

Traveler
Traveler
You both are going to have a blast! For many, their first visit leads to many, many years of additional visits. For us, that first year's visit has led us to return for more than 30 continuous years of visits, often times twice a year. When are you two planning your trip?

[Linked Image]
A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
We'll be there in 105 long days from now! The rest of the family is going on a guy's ski trip and we decided we weren't going to sit at home knitting, so to say. We'll be making our own fun memories. We chose SXM because I wanted to go somewhere no one we know has been. And we're very excited.

Traveler
Traveler
annie--just because you are on vacation, you can't assume that there are no dangers out there. There are dangers in your home town, but you know where they are and what areas to avoid. My comments were aimed at making you a bit more educated about the destination. Anywhere you are, you should take normal precautions, based on the area where you are going.

Enjoy your trip!

Carol Hill
Traveler
Traveler
Blessings and looking forward to seeing you Folks next year January.
Lesley Bruce.

Traveler
Traveler
That will be right in the middle of the high season. Allow for traffic to be heavier when you're planning your days, so have a little patience. Also, plan on making reservations for most of your dinners.

The island is small(35 square miles), but all main roads are single lane in each direction and some could use a little extra maintenance. Have Google maps on your phone and download the offline version of the map of the island, than you can use your phone as an active map while in the car.

Visit the website wearesxm.com and download their app onto your phone, it is an excellent resource. Also check out the visitstmaarten.com website for good content.

[Linked Image]
J
Traveler
Traveler
J
I would say go to Sunset Beach Bar in Maho to watch planes going overhead & onto runway really close

B
Traveler
Traveler
B
You will have a great time, we have been to many Caribbean islands once, St. Martin is the one we come back to time and again, and we are amatuers compared to many people come back year after year, it is that nice.

Yes to renting a car - there are many beaches and having a car lets you explore them. Mullet Beach would be a must visit, IMO.

As to Creole Snorkeling Tour - we took it, but it is very weather dependent. If it is overcast or windy, it may not be that great

Calmos is nice, but other options are a table on the porch at Ocean82, a bit more upscale, or going more downscale than Calmos, one of the Lolos nearby .

We don't go hiking, but walking from one end of the beach to the other, like on Orient, can be a decent walk, and others like the hike in to Happy Bay.

Traveler
Traveler
Originally Posted by jeepers
I would say go to Sunset Beach Bar in Maho to watch planes going overhead & onto runway really close
Oh go to Tortuga which is opposite end of Sunset Beach Bar. Prices for food & drink are a bit more reasonable, sometimes less of a crowd. You'll see planes land from either place. Skylinewebcams.com has a listing of cams in SXM of which Tortuga is one right from the outside bar on the beach

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Thanks so much for the pro tips!!

Calmos was recommended by someone in my original post and the menu seemed reasonable. Ocean82's menu sounds fabulous. Hopefully my daughter can appreciate the high end cuisine. smile LoLos are important for me to try also.

I want a low-key, small snorkel tour and Creole Rock Water Sports was recommended. I really don't want to be stuck on a catamaran all day. Fingers crossed the weather cooperates.

Mullet Beach was on my must list, but I'll prioritize it high! I'd like to visit as many beautiful beaches as possible.

We can definitely check out the Orient Bay beach walk. It doesn't sound at all terrible.

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Great tip! Cheaper with less people sounds wonderful. smile

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
I was thinking that might be our first stop off the plane.

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Thank you for the wealth of information. I've downloaded the app. I'm a prepared person so I will most definitely include offline maps before our trip. Also, patience will be packed in my suitcase. smile

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
You've been great to work with so far and I haven't even used your service! I see why you're so highly recommended.

J
Traveler
Traveler
J
For first time there I would not prefer lolos. they are just okay in my opinion. I would do Calmos very nice atmosphere & not as formal as Ocean82 for her & her daughter with only 4 days. If you are on orient Orange fever is very good!
Have fun! Everyone comes back. We are on trip 24 in january. Maybe jewelry in Philipsburg duty free?

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Thank you for your insight. I appreciate you advising caution to vacationers. I'm a cautious person normally and will continue to be, especially with my lovely daughter in tow.

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Great suggestions. We'll do some menu review and go from there. I know I'd like to make reservations for sunset viewing at some point.

Traveler
Traveler
annie--Ocean 82 (single Ocean, not Oceans!) is a wonderful experience, with upscale dining. That would be my recommendation, if you want upscale. You would definitely need reservations to be on the rail in January. You should be able to do that online, before you leave home.

Calmos or the lolos would be a whole different experience, not bad, but different. Look at menus online and see what seems best to you.

Carol Hill
Traveler
Traveler
15 year old daughter and I assume Annie you are a young mother. I would recommend you rent a car. The area you chose is not the best maybe Maho would have been better for your trip. I have a villa in Tamarind Hill near Oyster Pond.
It is very quiet and not great for a 15 year old. Oyster Pond has a pizza place and a few restaurants and that is it.
Sorry to not be of much help but the area you are staying at I am not very familiar with. Good Luck.

Traveler
Traveler
martini--please refrain from listing your villa here. Thanks.

Carol Hill
Traveler
Traveler
If Sunset Beach Bar is your first stop off the plane, please consider taking your luggage/bags along with you.

If you like birds, we highly recommend Parotte Ville Bird Park. It's not far from where you're staying, and a fun place to visit for an hour or two.

Jo-

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.
Traveler
Traveler
Another must in my view is a visit to Parotte Ville, a parrot sanctuary run by George Parotte (hence the spelling). There are dozens of types of parrots, and they will eat seeds out of a cup you are provided. Or they may land on your shoulder or head. It's a delightful way to spend an hour or two.

LINK

[Linked Image]
Traveler
Traveler
Permit me to also weigh in...

In your original post, you mentioned that you're looking for places to purchase gifts to bring back home. Two suggestions:

In my opinion, the best "souvenir-style" shirts/hats/tanks are at Sunset Beach Bar. They're very much in the style of RonJon, if you've seen those shirts. While not cheap, they will likely be worn back home because they reflect the "island vibe."

Also, a shopping trip to Philipsburg also might interest you. However, you should check the cruise ship schedule in advance. You don't want to go when there are a lot of ships in port. However, if there are no ships in port, a lot of the shops will be closed.

As I see it, if I had limited time on the island, I would skip shopping in Philipsburg, and instead put plastic down for some shirts at Sunset Beach Bar. You can enjoy the beach, have an adult soda, and watch planes land (from there, or (as RonDon suggested), go down the beach to Tortuga, where food/drink is less expensive). Also, same as Philipsburg, keep an eye on the cruise ship schedule. A lot of ships host excursions to Sunset BB.

Here is the link to the Sunset webcam. And while the beach looks rocky now, it will be all sand by January.

Final pro-tip: Tune your rental car radio to FM 91.9. It's the station you'll want to listen to. Not only will you hear a good mix of music, restaurants advertise specials and events that might interest you. In fact, you can listen now!!

Traveler
Traveler
OHHH I HAVE SOMETHING FOR YOU GUYS TO ENJOY!! Power your own mini speed boat around the island from the Marina on the Dutch side to Grand case where you will "dock" and do some snorkeling at Creole rock!! The Rhino safari riders are a BLAST!! I go out every time I'm on the island! Ask for Nick or Leo! Mention my name!!! You'll thank me!! OH and the photo op is worth it!! https://rhinotours.com/

Last edited by Colour1; Yesterday at 08:26 AM.

Sand Gravity, got to love it!
E
Traveler
Traveler
E
Shopping wise One by K has very nice quality shirts/sweatshirts.
https://www.wearesxm.com/shopping/one-by-k/

Calmos Cafe itself has a very nice shop attached to the restaurant.

Marigot market has a lot of stuff/junk but there is a lady who sells hand painted tiles/magnets of local beaches or island scenes which are a great gift to take home.
https://www.st-martin.org/us/learn-more/culture-and-heritage/marigot-market/

I personally wouldn't bother going to Philipsburg unless you wanted to buy jewelry or some expensive booze, especially with limited time.

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Thanks for the tip. We'll try to check it out if time permits! Sounds like a beautiful place.

I mention Sunset Beach Bar being the first stop almost as a joke since I'll be ready for some sun and cocktails after flying. smile Almost a joke.

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Sounds like a fun experience. I hope time permits!

Traveler
Traveler
Sorry I will not mention it again. Honestly where they are going to stay is questionable.

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
Incredible information. This is what I had mind mind with my request. I've been watching the Sunset Beach webcam to curb (or elevate) my excitement of our upcoming trip. It's wonderful. Great to know about their merch. I'll have to give Tortuga a try, I like the off the beaten-path type places.

I'm not a 'shopper' so with the other comments I may avoid Philipsburg for the most part. And I'd like to avoid the cruisers.

Great tip on the radio station. I'll try to tune-in ahead of our trip to learn more about the innerworkings of island life.

Thank you!

A
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
A
I've seen advertisements for the Rhinos. What a fun idea. I'll check in on that! Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard