dolfer 17
Member Spotlight
Zanshin
Zanshin
St. Lucia
Today's Birthdays
Margie, philuann, Roe
Who's Online Now
41 members (CaroleS, Manitoulin Island Girl, jbutah, maineskier69, connie, taraavo, bkigar, Leagle49, GeorgeC1, xrayman67, Jerry_R, toast, geomo, JeanneB, Kennys, lcote, davidandsusannj, PattyM, Zanshin, ndfaninnc, NumberCruncher, cooch366, bbeach, steve74, Uksimonusa, Sea_Skyman, BillDauterive, eightzerobits, sprockyrocky, SXMBND, SteveH, Sunnysideup, 9 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#324660 09/30/2024 11:43 AM
1mjk Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Anyone have any insight on all of the Intercaribbean Airways cancellations the last few weeks? I am heading down with my son next Wednesday and getting concerned with our SJU to EIS via Intercaribbean. I know they are usually a crapshoot, but looking at flight aware, they have been cancelling flights like crazy.

Thanks

Mike

BVI Sponsors
R
Traveler
Traveler
R
Not there right now, so this is a guess. IC is known for cancelling flights when the planes are not full. It's low season, so far fewer folks are traveling. That is one airline we have never flown, nor would we recommend it. They are also not known for communicating with their passengers or for issuing refunds.

Only advice is stay on top of your reservations and know what your options are.

1mjk Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Was kind of wondering if that is the case. reluctantly have used them! Booked a new flight on Silver on the way down to make sure i get there. On the way back, well if I get stuck.......! In the event they do cancel on you, do they just say to bad and you find your way home or do help? put you on the next flight or another airline?

R
Traveler
Traveler
R
I have never heard anyone say IC was helpful in getting them rebooked. AFAIK, they are based in T&C, and not subject to the same requirements as US airlines might be. George would certainly know more. Hopefully they will help get you on their next flight.

We like the new Silver planes, and find them a good option. Neighbors have been burnt by them, however, and sworn never again. Cape Air is reliable, but at a price. American has been offering terrific deals on their direct flights, and that has become the most popular option. But, of course, people have miles they want to use.

Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
Very few airlines cancel for load. It simply never saves money because it creates so many other issues. Loads do become a factor when they simply don’t have enough equipment or pilots to operate their entire schedule. In that case they will cancel flights that cause the least disruption to their system. Generally this won’t be load but involves how out of position it might leave them for aircraft and crews.
In the case of IC they have cancelled 5 of their last 6 flights. I suspect they have an aircraft out of service or severe staffing issues.

1mjk Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Will have to check into the American flight from Miami for next time.

Would be nice if they would just be honest and give a little more notice than at the airport to make alternate plans to get home!

R
Traveler
Traveler
R
Tradewind Aviation is another option, although their flights start in high season. Even the ferries cut service this time of year.

IC's hub is in T&C, and Tortola may be further afield, so it's easier to just cut those flights, as George says. In any event, it's not worth the few $ you might save.

M
Traveler
Traveler
M
I’m thinking I should take the hit on my Intercaribbean flight I purchased from San Juan to Tortola then the ferry to VG and spend the money on a Cape air flight directly into VG …..dont want to count on the evening flight into Beef Island, have it get cancelled, and be stuck..

Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
Buy a refundable fare on Cape Air. Cancel if IC comes through.

M
Traveler
Traveler
M
But the Cape Air refundable is almost double a non refundable…plus the cape air flight would leave first….

R
Traveler
Traveler
R
When are you going? Check out Tradewind Aviation to Taddy Bay; I have heard good things about them. Or buy a Silver flight to Beef.

1mjk Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Bought tix on Silver to make sure we get there. Now next concern is getting back to SJU. 8:55 am flight on IC seems to be cancelled as often as the evening flights. I looked at flight aware again last night and IC looks to be cancelling all their flights. Are they simply refunding peoples money? What are they doing with all the cancelled passengers?

Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
https://www.intercaribbean.com/medi...its-tortola-and-providenciales-hubs.html

I don’t believe the CRJ200 can operate out of EIS. It might be possible but would de severely load restricted. The larger CRJ 700 could operate out of EIS with some load restrictions but very doable. They don’t say which they leased.

Edit: They have leased a 700.

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 10/02/2024 09:45 AM.
Traveler
Traveler
George--looks like the date on that story was December 20, 2021..

Carol Hill
Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
You are correct, I found another article talking about a CRJ lease a year ago that was the 700. Looks to me like IC might be in their death throes. It will be sad if they go under as they were the low cost option.

1mjk Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
I spoke to IC and they claim if they cancel your flight they will give you a 24hr notice and will give you the option of being put on a silver flight or a refund. Anyone know if they actually give a 24 hr notice or actually put you on silver airways? This was supposed to be a stress free vacation with my son!!!

1mjk Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
If i grab a Silver flight that arrives SJU at 11:30, would that be enough time to clear customs and catch a 1:20 flight?

M
Traveler
Traveler
M
I checked tradewind aviation but do not fly the day we are going…..we are going in January…..2 days/week they show no flights to VG.

Traveler
Online Content
Traveler
Originally Posted by 1mjk
If i grab a Silver flight that arrives SJU at 11:30, would that be enough time to clear customs and catch a 1:20 flight?

If the flight is within 45 minutes of ontime no issues. If your flights are not on the same ticket and you have checked bags things need to go perfect.

1mjk Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Thanks George for the heads up. I threw the towel in an and just booked a new flight all the through on United to ease my mind. This wasn’t supposed to be stressful!!

I did get a hold of someone at IC who told they are cancelling flights because not enough passengers booked to fly the route. I called silver to verify if IC did place passengers on their airline if flight was cancelled and he said no. What a mess! At least I have a ride home! Will never book IC again.

R
Traveler
Traveler
R
As has been said, friends don't let friends fly InterCaribbean. Sorry you had to find out this way. Glad you followed up because I have never heard of them helping or rebooking anyone, quite the contrary. Which is not to say people haven't flown them successfully.

Maybe they start in Providenciales, stop in the DR, fly to Tortola and possibly on to Antigua and return. It is easy to cancel the whole route, unlike US carriers whose planes and crews fly all over. It would be much better to cancel low season flights, or only fly one day/week.

We were surprised, and pleased, that American kept their schedule throughout low season. They had some great prices, too. Maybe they are eating into other carriers business.

Traveler
Traveler
I am seeing MANY 10k mileage flights on AA too. Its a no brainer at that price. They have to be hurting a lot of the smaller carriers to the BVI.

Link Copied to Clipboard