dolfer 17
Member Spotlight
Zanshin
Zanshin
St. Lucia
Today's Birthdays
Margie, philuann, Roe
Who's Online Now
39 members (pandpfromcanada, GeorgeC1, duckfat, CaroleS, Manitoulin Island Girl, jbutah, maineskier69, connie, taraavo, bkigar, Leagle49, xrayman67, Jerry_R, toast, geomo, JeanneB, Kennys, lcote, davidandsusannj, PattyM, Zanshin, ndfaninnc, NumberCruncher, cooch366, bbeach, steve74, Uksimonusa, Sea_Skyman, BillDauterive, eightzerobits, sprockyrocky, 8 invisible), 1,257 guests, and 150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#324182 09/10/2024 11:59 AM
N
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
N
Hi Folks,
Greetings from the other side of the pond.
My wife and I are looking forward to our first visit at the beginning on November. We're staying on Simpsons Bay.
We have a couple of questions which we hope you'll take time to consider.
Our go-to drink is a proper dry margarita made with fresh lime and very little sweetness. We like these most of all when they're part of a Happy Hour. Could anyone recommend a combination of both ?
We prefer rough and ready bars and restaurants rather than high-end or resorts and any suggestions for these would also be much appreciated with maybe the odd high-end eatery when we fancy something a bit more formal. We've already identified Dinghy Dock as a prospective local haunt.
We don't plan to hire a car because driving gets in the way of our long lunches but we'd like to take buses into French St Martin for the day - perhaps a beach bar or a nice restaurant for lunch where we can just mooch about doing nothing in particular.
Apologies if these are regularly asked questions.
Thanks, Nobby.

Last edited by Nobby Aristotle; 09/10/2024 12:00 PM.
SXM Sponsors
Traveler
Traveler
As well as Dingy Dock there's a place named D's on Simpson Bay Beach next to Beach Side Villas. On Simpson Bay Beach is K's (formally Karakter's Bar). I mention these because you stated you will stay in Simpson Bay but without a vehicle. You can get to these places by walking Simpson Bay Beach.

If you could state where you'll be staying it will be easier to tell you what is available. The 3 mentions are all on the beach.

Public transportation on the island is not a simple matter. There are buses that do not run on a schedule. Most without a car take cabs. Or contact a driver for their stay. One I've heard mentioned here is Wilfred. I only know his name so perhaps someone who has used him will post here for you.

I have no idea where one might get a Margarita as you described.

We don't like to drive at night so we sometimes book at Grand Case Beach Club because of all the fine restaurant within walking distance on the main street. There are a few beach bars as well.

One of our favorite, romantic setting, restaurants that serve gourmet foods impeccably prepared is La Cigale in Sandy Ground. (between the Dutch & French sides) Dining is al fresco at water's edge where you can see sunset, or Air France take off from the airport in the distance across the lagoon. No need to formally dress. Also they might prepare a margarita as you like. They prepared a drink as I requested.

Without a car you miss the wonders of the island: hidden beaches, small beach bars, restaurants, the boardwalk in Philipsburg, capital of the Dutch side, the fort in Marigot the capital of the French side that has a magnificent panoramic view of the island from up high.

Orient beach on the French side is worth a day trip by cab/car. Lots of small bars and food places, shops.

Another consideration is you'll be visiting in off season so some places may have closed until high season.

Last edited by RonDon; 09/10/2024 04:54 PM.
Traveler
Traveler
I will definitely rent a car for your visit. Removes any kinks in the public transport system and makes the "Let's go here" thing MUCh easier....and....you will be amazed at wht you will stumble on when driving somewhere. No chnace of getting lost in a circular road plan....

It will make those spontaneous trips work...

We have been going to SXm for around 20 years and ALWAYS have had a car

Last edited by boucharda; 09/10/2024 05:26 PM.
Traveler
Traveler

The Driftwood in Maho sounds like the type of restaurants that you are looking for and easily accessible by bus from Simpson Bay . I find getting around the Dutch side on the little vans/ busses the natives use pretty conveninent - although they do stop running early in the evening, but you can always get a taxi home. However if you really want to explore the entire island - especially the French side, you might want to consider retnting a car at least for a couple of days. Car rentals are actually pretty reasonable. How long is your visit? If you only have a week or less, you can probably find enough to keep you busy on the Dutch side if you're really opposed to renting a car. I think any reasonable bartender could mix your drink satisfactorilly - and there a plenty of happy hours all over the island

S
Traveler
Traveler
S
I can’t believe what I’m reading here. The original poster indicates specifically that he doesn’t want to rent a car because he will be drinking. So here we have a guy who intends to be responsible person and all the responses above encourage him to drive. Geez.

Traveler
Traveler
Sunfun--walking or bus transpo on the Dutch side ONLY may be doable. Taking a bus to the French side is not realistic. Cabs, yes. But in general, renting a car is much more doable.

Carol Hill
Traveler
Traveler
Sunfun - no one is suggesting that he drink and drive - People are simply observing that his choice will impact his vacation planning. If he truly wants to explore the French side, perhaps he could pass on the drinking that day. Or if having a few drinks with his meal is important to him, he may decide not to visit the French side. It's his decision. Posters are simply sharing their observations with him

S
Traveler
Traveler
S
The only downside of buses on the French side is in getting to Orient because you have to walk in from the highway. Other than that the bus service is perfectly fine and is in fact a great way to experience a little local culture. Marigot and Grand Case are well served although will require a transfer at some point. You might have to wait all of 5 minutes for the connection. Meanwhile drinking and driving on the French side can land you in a world of trouble. And alcohol checkpoints are common.

Traveler
Traveler
One of the best handmade Margaritas with fresh squeezed lime, both frozen and clean, was at the Pelican Grill at Flamingo Resort. Suprised the heck out of me. Ask for Anthony at the bar.

J
Traveler
Traveler
J

Carol, it may be that for you taking the bus to the French side is not realistic, but we have been taking buses all over the island for years. We never rent a car and have stayed on both the Dutch and French side. We have travelled by bus to the other side easily and frequently on our trips.

To the OP, it is easy to catch a bus up and down Simpson Bay if you prefer not to walk. My wife and I regularly walk all over Simpson Bay from as far as Lagoonies back to Dinghy Dock. Don't worry, you will not be restricted to 3 bars.

A bus is also an easy way to get to Maho where you will find a nice selection of bars and restaurants, We really enjoy The Hole in the Wall if you want a night of live music. Driftwood is in the Maho area as well (mentioned by another).

You can also catch a bus to Philipsburg. Lots of bars and restaurants to choose from there. We like Grumpy's bar.

To get to the French side take the bus to Philipsburg and get off at the roundabout at the end of Welfare road, walk to the other side of the roundabout (Union Road) and wait for a bus that will take you to Marigot. Lots of places there to explore. Or you can change buses there and go to Grand Case and/or Orient. We have always found the bus drivers to be helpful. Let them know where you wat to go and they will tell you where to get off, etc. Other passengers are also helpful. We find the bus is a great way to experience the island and enjoy the people who live there.

N
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
N
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond so far and there is some great advice in there and locations that sound right up our street.
On the subject of car rental what we usually do in the Caribbean is take local buses everywhere - we're wanderers rather than go toers - in the hope of coming across that nice beach bar with long,boozy lunch written all over it.
But if we find somewhere we'd like to visit then we'll hire the cheapest wheels we can find for a day or two.And avoid the booze !
Are the buses into the French side timetabled or is it just a question of flagging one down when you see one near a bus stop ?
We're staying not far from the Horny Toad so obviously we can see from the maps there are plenty of bars and eateries within walking distance.
To get to Maho on foot Google Maps is sending us around the runway on the airport road - is it possible to simply walk there on the sand along Simpson Bay Beach ?
Once again thanks for everyone's input so far and please keep any suggestions coming, especially on the margaritas ...

E
Traveler
Traveler
E
I am not totally sure about how the bus system works but maybe this is useful information.

https://www.visitstmaarten.com/st-maarten-st-martin-bus-routes/

I would assume it's not the most time efficient way to get from one side to the other but it would be a local/affordable experience I am sure!

Most of the beach bars on Orient beach have great bartenders/bar setups so I am sure its pretty easy to get a great Margarita if one wants.

Regarding Simpson Bay Beach to Maho, the beach ends and you cannot walk on the "sand" the whole way. Just walk on the road you see on google maps next to airport and you arrive at Maho beach.

Last edited by erb923; 09/11/2024 06:23 AM.
Traveler
Traveler
Yes, you can easily walk to Maho without going around to the airport road. Just go to the end of the beach where D's is located, perhaps stop for a bevvy, and continue along the airport fence through Beacon Hill and you will end up in Maho.

Elaine
God Bless the broken road....
Traveler
Traveler
Personally, I would NOT walk the beach at night.

Traveler
Traveler
If you ask for a skinny margarita you should get one with just lime juice, triple sec, and tequilla. Many bars however use mixes which are too sweet. I prefer rum drinks in Sint Maarten and keep my margarita drinking for Mexico.

Traveler
Traveler
I get it, no drinking and driving! VERY COOL!!! Contact for reliable service anywhere around the island Patrick Christopher at Silverline tours!! https://www.facebook.com/silverlinetourssxm As far as this favorite cocktail, I would try Roma restaurant in Maho plaza at happy hour!! The bartenders there make some of thee most delicious cocktails we've ever had! At "HH" prices, the apps at the bar area are super good too!! Tell Marco we said hello! See you there! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100089612281159

Sand Gravity, got to love it!

Link Copied to Clipboard