Member Spotlight
wildbill069
wildbill069
Greensboro,N.C.From Colonie NY
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
kstehlin, LauraTheTshirtGal, rita_irvine, sailingbros
Who's Online Now
12 registered members (George1234, BarbyandLeo, Fred, SXMScubaman, BillDauterive, tradewinds, eightzerobits, marybeth, duckfat, 3 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 317 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BVI 5 night itinerary question #320784
06/06/2024 04:14 PM
06/06/2024 04:14 PM
A
andyla Offline OP
Traveler
andyla  Offline OP
Traveler
A
Hello, I am curious what people's thoughts are on these two options for itineraries. We are two families with kids aged 10-13 that are chartering a skippered catamaran for 5 nights in July. First off, I am wondering if these are even doable, or are we trying to cram in too much? It doesn't seem like it with the first, as this seems to be a pretty standard for 5 nights, but it is hard to tell if getting up to the North Sound (option 2) is worth it if we only have the 5 days. Basically, we'd be swapping out Cane Garden Bay, bubbly pool, and sandy spit to go up to the North Sound. We have never chartered a sailboat before, so our experience is limited to other trip reports and blogs. Also, is there anything you would cut out, or something that is a must do that we are missing? From my reading, it doesn't seem like we'll get out that early the first day, which is why we are starting at Cooper instead of Norman, and we would rather spend a full day at Norman. We are planning breakfast and most lunches on the boat, and eating out most nights - likely one dinner on the boat.

Option 1:
Day 1. Nanny Cay -> Cooper Island; (Snorkel Wreck of the Rhone, dinner at Cooper Island Beach Club)
Day 2. Cooper Is -> The Baths -> Scrub Island; (Morning sail to the Baths, afternoon/evening with slip at Scrub Island Resort, dinner at Donovans)
Day 3. Scrub Is -> Monkey Point (Snorkel) -> Cane Garden Bay or Diamond Cay; (Snorkel at Monkey point, tour Callwood Rum distillery, moooring at Cane Garden or Diamond Cay - bubbly pool if mooring at Diamond Cay, dinner at B-line/Foxy's Taboo)
Day 4. Cane Garden or Diamond Cay -> Great Harbor Jost; (morning stop at Sandy Spit, afternoon at White Bay Beach and Soggy Dollar)
Day 5. Great Harbor -> Norman Island; (snorkel the Indians, lunch at Willy T, caves at Treasure point, dinner at Pirates Bight)
Day 6. Return to Nanny Cay

Option 2:
Day 1. Nanny Cay -> Cooper Island; (Snorkel Wreck of the Rhone, dinner at Cooper Island Beach Club)
Day 2. Cooper Is -> The Baths -> Bitter End; (Morning sail to the Baths, sail North Sound, mooring at Bitter End)
Day 3. Bitter End -> The Dogs (Snorkel) -> Scrub Island; (morning snorkel at the Dogs, afternoon/evening with slip at Scrub Island Resort, dinner at Donovans)
Day 4. Scrub Is -> Great Harbor Jost; (stop at sandy spit, afternoon at White Bay Beach and Soggy Dollar)
Day 5. Great Harbor -> Norman Island; (snorkel the Indians, lunch at Willy T, caves at Treasure point, dinner at Pirates Bight)

BVI Sponsors
Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: andyla] #320785
06/06/2024 04:15 PM
06/06/2024 04:15 PM
A
andyla Offline OP
Traveler
andyla  Offline OP
Traveler
A
I originally posted on the tripadvisor forum but was told there were more boaters here....
Thanks in advance for any help.
andy

Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: andyla] #320787
06/06/2024 04:50 PM
06/06/2024 04:50 PM
Jacksonville, FL, USA
onlymedication Offline
Traveler
onlymedication  Offline
Traveler
Jacksonville, FL, USA
I haven't done a skippered charter before, but I would think you should be able to get out early with a hired skipper, assuming you are staying on the boat or somewhere on Tortola the night before.

Both itineraries look perfectly doable.

I would recommend spending the night at Diamond Key over Great Harbor. With a paid captain, I would also recommend White Bay over GH, assuming conditions are suitable and the captain is willing.

Welcome to the site, you will find a wealth of information and experience as well as kindness and humor from the folks on here.

Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: onlymedication] #320798
06/06/2024 09:08 PM
06/06/2024 09:08 PM
A
andyla Offline OP
Traveler
andyla  Offline OP
Traveler
A
We are doing a sleep aboard the night before. And the other family is flying into Tortola (beef) at 11:30, so I am hoping we can shove right off when they arrive. We will be doing the provisioning before they arrive.

Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: andyla] #320802
06/06/2024 11:11 PM
06/06/2024 11:11 PM
Naples
N
nevar37 Offline
Traveler
nevar37  Offline
Traveler
N
Naples
When they get to Nanny Cay, it will be close to 1 p.m. Instead, I would sail to Marina Cay. The other family would take the Scrub Island shuttle from Beef Island to meet you. Your Captain will know how best to get you where you want to go.

Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: andyla] #320807
06/07/2024 07:16 AM
06/07/2024 07:16 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
With a skipper onboard you should be able to get off the dock early enough to head to Trellis and meet them at the airport.
G

Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: andyla] #320812
06/07/2024 09:23 AM
06/07/2024 09:23 AM
A
andyla Offline OP
Traveler
andyla  Offline OP
Traveler
A
So if we pick the other family up at Trellis Bay or Marina Cay, what would you change our first night too? Stay there, or head over to Savana Bay and then cab to The Baths in the morning?

Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: andyla] #320813
06/07/2024 10:05 AM
06/07/2024 10:05 AM
Jacksonville, FL, USA
onlymedication Offline
Traveler
onlymedication  Offline
Traveler
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Since your itinerary already includes Scrub, you might consider heading there first thing on your first day. Your other family would be able to walk from the airport at Beef Island over to Trellis (it's a very short walk) and catch the Scrub Island ferry and meet you there. Your early group would be able to explore Scrub Island, get a massage, take advantage of the pools (swim up bar and water slide are pretty cool) and/or beaches and relax and enjoy while waiting for the second part of the group to arrive.

Scrub
Cooper
Baths (leave Cooper early and do the Baths first thing before the crowds arrive)>Dogs>North Sound
JVD (a "longish" sail, by BVI standards, but will typically be a broad reach or downwind and you can stop off at Monkey Point for a snorkel to break up the sail if desired)
Norman
Back to base

https://www.scrubisland.com/location/
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.scrubisland.com/content/uploads/2021/12/Scrub-Island-Ferry-Schedule-2022.pdf

Have fun and let us know how your trip went after you get back!

Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: andyla] #320828
06/07/2024 04:01 PM
06/07/2024 04:01 PM
M
MIDiver Offline
Traveler
MIDiver  Offline
Traveler
M
I agree with heading to Scrub or Marina Cay and having the second family meet you there - why waste precious time?

Day 2 I would skip Cooper and head to Baths from Scrub at first light. Spend several hours there and then head to Bitter End (North Sound) for the night. There honestly isn’t anything remarkable about Cooper. Yes they have an interesting rum bar but drinks abound in the BVI.

Day 3 you could head to Anegada if the crew was willing

Day 4 Anegada to Jost - Diamond Cay or White Bay. We get there around 11 when leaving Anegada early.

Day 5 to Norman

Return to base

Cane Garden Bay is not my favorite (except for Indigo Beach House) so I would have no hesitation skipping it (like Cooper)

Have fun!

Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: MIDiver] #320945
06/10/2024 11:14 AM
06/10/2024 11:14 AM
A
andyla Offline OP
Traveler
andyla  Offline OP
Traveler
A
Thank you for all the replies. I hadn't really thought about doing a pick up near the airport - we'll try to work that out with the skipper. We are going to cut CGB, and head to the North Sound; and I also think we will save Anegada for a future trip, as we only have a limited time. Are there any stops not listed that people think 13 year olds would think is cool? I think the kids would like snorkeling the Rhone, but I guess it will depend on visibility for it to be worth it. Are there any other wrecks, or canons that are accessible to snorkelers?

Day 1. Nanny Cay -> Cooper Island or Trellis Bay/Scrub for pickup.
Day 2. Cooper Is -> The Baths -> Bitter End; (Morning sail to the Baths, sail North Sound, mooring at Bitter End)
Day 3. Bitter End -> The Dogs (Snorkel) -> Scrub Island; (morning snorkel at the Dogs, afternoon/evening with slip at Scrub Island Resort, dinner at Donovans)
Day 4. Scrub Is -> JVD - Diamon Cay / Great Harbor; (stop at sandy spit, afternoon at White Bay Beach and Soggy Dollar)
Day 5. JVD -> Norman Island; (snorkel the Indians, lunch at Willy T, caves at Treasure point, dinner at Pirates Bight)

Last edited by andyla; 06/10/2024 11:14 AM.
Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: andyla] #320956
06/10/2024 04:02 PM
06/10/2024 04:02 PM
Lutz, FL
tangerine3 Offline
Traveler
tangerine3  Offline
Traveler
Lutz, FL
We did a 5 day itinerary at the beginning of May I just posted a brief trip report. I would do your 1st Option 1 see I would rather do Cane Garden Bay than Diamond Cay for the night. But for any of your options you will be able to do all that which ever one you pick. I was worried too and we were fine. Just have fun I wouldn't be too worried about kids I think they will have a great time just swimming and hanging out.

What day would be your choice of either Diamond Cay or CGB because if a Sunday then def CGB for the elm beach sunday BBQ.

[Linked Image]
Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: tangerine3] #321010
06/11/2024 09:35 PM
06/11/2024 09:35 PM
A
andyla Offline OP
Traveler
andyla  Offline OP
Traveler
A
We start our charter on Saturday, so wouldn’t be near CGB on a Sunday.

Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: andyla] #321013
06/11/2024 11:23 PM
06/11/2024 11:23 PM
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
caribbeangirl13 Offline
Traveler
caribbeangirl13  Offline
Traveler
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
First off I would extend your trip to at the very least 7 days. But if that isn't an option here is my suggestion.

Arrival Day: have the majority of your provisioning delivered and provision the rest the day you arrive so you can get off the dock early the next morning.
Day 1. Nanny Cay -> Scrub (have friends meet you there or you could take the boat to Trellis to meet friends and then go over to Scrub...personally I would play it by ear based on if their flight is on time. Make sure to snorkel Diamond Reef (off Great Camanoe between Scrub and Marina Cay). In my opinion this is one of the best snorkeling spots in the BVI right now.
Day 2. Scrub-> The Baths -> North Sound (you could even stop over at the Dogs to snorkel if you want)
Day 3. North Sound-> Monkey Point (Snorkel) -> Cane Garden Bay or Diamond Cay
Day 4. Cane Garden or Diamond Cay -> Great Harbor Jost; White Bay (since you have a captain, I would take the boat to White Bay during the day and then have the captain take it back over to Great Harbor for the night so you can go out to eat and check out Foxy's. We love Corsairs but there are lots of good dinner choices in Great Harbor.
Day 5. JVD -> Norman Island; (snorkel the Indians, lunch at Willy T, caves at Treasure point, dinner at Pirates Bight)

I do like Cooper so might do that after Scrub, instead of Cane Garden or Diamond Cay. There is pretty good snorkeling at Cooper off Cistern Point. I would not try to snorkel the Wreck of the Rhone. It is more a dive spot and there are so many better places to snorkel to actually see stuff.

Enjoy!

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
Re: BVI 5 night itinerary question [Re: andyla] #321035
06/12/2024 05:10 PM
06/12/2024 05:10 PM
M
MIDiver Offline
Traveler
MIDiver  Offline
Traveler
M
The snorkeling at Monkey Point really isn't very good - I would skip it unless you feel extremely compelled to stop there.

If you do end up in Great Harbor, JVD, Tipsy Shark is an excellent restaurant. Great food, lovely (not raucous) atmosphere, wonderful owners. By far the best choice in our opinion in the bay, and a good choice for families.

Agree that the Rhone is not a good snorkel spot.