Maybe some think they cannot leave the dock without a wind gauge. I can look at the open water and tell you how hard the wind is blowing. In light conditions with a fresh haircut I can feel it on the back of my neck. All using the same instincts that lets me know how fast the car I am riding in is traveling. Many have become way too needy of the electronic toys and gadgets. Those Cats are delivered across oceans on their own bottoms. Owners are sailing cats across all the oceans every day. If wind instruments were even close to a must have we would find at least some redundancy built in or at least available. If a puff comes in and you must look at the wind instruments to figure out what to change or do. You are doing it all wrong. For the record I have sailed all the largest multihulls in the charter fleets. The only hassles I see on that list for a 7 day trip. (1) anything that makes the fresh water system inconvenient.(2) The inability to diagnose and correct the alarms at any time. (3) The inability to determine what if anything was wrong with the HVAC system(s). The original writer leaves out many details.