TravelTalkOnline

Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin

Posted By: fletchccc

Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 04/24/2023 03:42 AM

Ahoy, Planning for our boat to go to the Grenadines for Hurricane season. Some buddies and I may fly down to Grenada to help captain and chef deliver her back north for charter season in BVI. Our thought was to take 12-14 days and leisurely (somewhat) sail from Grenada north. We'd jump off in SXM and fly home while the captain and crew continue on to BVI for boat show.
Question is, what are thoughts on this timeline? 12-14 days? We were thinking October 14-27ish...
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 05/07/2023 07:58 PM

It took us 3 days to sail offshore from St. John, USVI to Grenada on a 38 foot monohull sailboat.
Just pick your weather window and you will be fine.
October will still have tropical waves streaking across the islands, so time your passage between those nasty things.
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 07/07/2023 05:41 PM

I'd take 14 days if you have them - stop to smell the roses on the way. I'm in Carriacou now and it is awesome. As are the Grenadines, St. Lucia, Martinique, Dominica, Guadeloupe, Antigua, St. Kitts & Nevis then St. Barths and finally St. Martin.

It can be done in 3 days or less of non-stop sailing; but that's boring offshore sailing and I've only done that when I had a schedule to keep (or, back during COVID days, wasn't allowed to stop on the way...).

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 09/25/2023 01:34 AM

Thanks, all. October 15th to the 29th it is!

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 09/25/2023 01:35 AM

Also, Need to re-up our fishing supplies upon landing in Grenada.
Any clue where the best place to get a Hawaiian sling, spear gun, lobster snares, etc?

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 09/27/2023 01:36 PM

What did you all use to clear in and out of customs on your island hopping trip down in the Grenadines on up towards SXM? Sailclear?
What's the best avenue to ensure expedited clearing of customs at each port of entry? Don't want to waste a bunch of time doing that stuff as we head north.
Thanks!
Posted By: irina

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 09/30/2023 08:40 PM

Well, our BVI skipper needed his Handyman repaired at Budget Marine.. So he gave it to me, I took it there and returned it to him on August Monday! Worked great!
Cheers!

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 11/20/2023 05:36 PM

What are your intended stops for that trip? When are you doing it (I'm doing that trip soon as well). The French islands are all the same, no electronic checkin prior to arrival/departure possible, but clearance is fast and cheap there. Sailclear in St. Lucia and Antigua.
Posted By: cdocsail

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 05/29/2024 12:35 PM

What’s a ‘Handyman’?
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 06/05/2024 06:36 PM

'What's a Handyman?'

probably something like this... Leatherman

On Clearance between Grenada and St Martin, I've just done in the last two weeks...

Montserrat. Sailclear, very friendly, helpful people in the Customs office. Try and stop there, it is a wonderful island.
Nevis. Sailclear. A bit of a pain as you have to make two visits, one in, one out. CASH ONLY, USD or ECD. Customs want money. Port authority want money. Immigration is free.
St Barts. Easy, nothing in advance, just go to Capitainerie. In and out in one visit. French Islands are always great if you perhaps end up with 'gaps' in your paperwork as they just don't care (in my experience).
St Martin, French side. As St Barts. Marina Fort Louis says you can only clear there if you are staying there. Anse Marcel... Very, very easy. No interest whatsoever in seeing previous clearance.
Posted By: snmhanson

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 06/05/2024 07:56 PM

Last time we cleared in to St. Martin (about 1 year ago) we initially went to Marina Fort Louis as that is where we had cleared in on prior trips. As Mike said, they no longer will help unless you are a marina guest. We went all over looking for a C&I office but couldn't find any where we expected them to be. Eventually we discovered that the nearest port clearance is at Island Water World which is a chandlery about 1/2 mile south. They have a computer set up where you can enter all of your crew info. First time we went they were on lunch. We returned later, shortly before close and I was able to clear my crew of nine in. They were helpful and stayed a few minutes after close for me, but were obviously ready to get out of there.

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 06/07/2024 05:24 PM

The closest official place is at the ferry dock, but they charge an arm-and-a-leg. The truly official place is even further away in the other direction at Galisbay; but Island Waterworld (IWW) is quick, cheap at €5 and easy and is the place I always clear in when coming from the west or south. My other favorite clearing-in location on the French side is Anse Marcel; they are friendly and efficient and only charge around €10.
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Delivery from Grenada to St. Martin - 06/08/2024 08:11 AM

Zanshin... Just missed you the other week. Crossing Simpson Bay on the way to St Barth, Zanshin came up on the AIS and I tried calling on 16 but no answer. Can't remember when it was.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline