TravelTalkOnline

No fireworks on NYE?

Posted By: Carol_Hill

No fireworks on NYE? - 12/20/2017 05:20 PM

Daily Herald story This year, of all years, it would be nice to have the fireworks. I hope some businesses chip in and put them on.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: No fireworks on NYE? - 12/20/2017 06:09 PM

Nothing like money being blown up that the islanders could use for much better purposes.

Re: No fireworks on NYE? - 12/20/2017 06:20 PM

You didn't read the article, apparently, as there are NOT going to be any fireworks. Entertainment and having fun is a good thing, especially this year. The money was all PRIVATE money that paid for it in years past regardless!!!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: No fireworks on NYE? - 12/20/2017 06:23 PM

I read the article and am aware there is NOT to be any. Public or private money doesn't matter. There is much better use for the money. Hopefully the money that was put aside for this will be better spent for the islanders well being.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: No fireworks on NYE? - 12/20/2017 06:52 PM

I agree with you Carol. Unfortunately there are people that believe the temporary suspension of the problems are not a good thing but I am of the belief that a little bit of fun goes a long way. It is similar to working for 50 weeks and those 2 weeks of vacation are pure heaven. Let's not forget that there are people that would win the lottery but complain that they have to go to Tallahassee to pick up their check. I look at the New York ball drop on NYE and while it is a mixture of private and public funding, there is an overwhelming sense of renew from those that go. This might help to enforce the people of SXM to want to continue to move forward.
Posted By: Ellen777

Re: No fireworks on NYE? - 12/20/2017 08:13 PM

I cannot get the link to work - tried Chrome and Firefox.
People on AXA look forward to seeing the SXM fireworks.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: No fireworks on NYE? - 12/20/2017 08:24 PM

Try again later. The first two times I tried it wouldn't work. Connected right away a minute ago.

Re: No fireworks on NYE? - 12/20/2017 08:24 PM

Huh--I use Microsoft Edge and it's working for me. The DH seems to have problems sometimes.
Posted By: sasasal

Re: No fireworks on NYE? - 12/20/2017 09:37 PM

This year not sure fireworks would be a big issue for those that have been through a major disaster... There will be little to no tourists, so not sure this is an issue. there are residents that have lost jobs, lost homes, and trying to just survive. As an outsider, this is just not important right now... People are trying to recover from great loss... Recovery takes time, and for now!!! thats the focus. But thats my opinion... Lets just hope the new year brings the Island closer to recovering, but it will take time.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: No fireworks on NYE? - 12/20/2017 11:25 PM

Personally, I think the local folks are looking for any kind of normalcy they can find. They already cancelled the tree lighting. This is very sad. Although, I don't know if I could stand the booms. I jump to the sky when a car backfires now.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline