TravelTalkOnline

Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant?

Posted By: CaptnAndy

Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 12:40 AM

We are looking at our itinerary for next March, and I was wondering IF there is
a restaurant other than on Anegada that has the Anegada-type experience.

We love the picnic table, feet in the sand, twinkle-lights and lobster
that several Anegada restaurants offer. One of our crew is worried about sailing to & from Anegada.
We have planned a schedule with shorter sailing days, for the most part, and we're wondering
if we could get the Anegada experience on one of the other islands?

Thanks, Andy
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 12:45 AM

Don’t know if it’s still on the menu, but I’ve have a great lobster dish at Leveric since Irma.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 12:51 AM

How about you don’t tell your crew where you are until 1/2 way to Anegada on a nice reach?

Or, Pirates has some tables by the sand.

Different ambiance though.
Posted By: DEL

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 01:01 AM

Marina Cay might be an option with their tent ambiance.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by CaptnAndy
We are looking at our itinerary for next March, and I was wondering IF there is
a restaurant other than on Anegada that has the Anegada-type experience.

We love the picnic table, feet in the sand, twinkle-lights and lobster
that several Anegada restaurants offer. One of our crew is worried about sailing to & from Anegada.
We have planned a schedule with shorter sailing days, for the most part, and we're wondering
if we could get the Anegada experience on one of the other islands?

Thanks, Andy

Andy - I kind of agree with Warren on this one.
We have had friends on the boat that were a little timid. First day their eyes are as big as saucers. By the third day they've all been just fine. I'll bet you will have the same experience. If that's the case make the trip to Anegada. If I'm wrong ... well... there is always a visit to "throw way wife bay" on Great Camanoe smile
Posted By: mriley4955

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 10:48 AM

Throw Way Wife Bay LOL. I thought you were kidding! Til I looked it up. Might have to make a stop or swing by there just for a laugh. Doesn't look like much of a place to stop. Thanks for the laugh.
Posted By: Kirk

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 02:00 PM

I've had longer and rougher trips down there than getting up to Anegada....
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 02:36 PM

Harris's on JVD makes great lobster, and other dishes too. Don't get the steak! Cynthia is a riot.

Also you could try Abe's, his picnic table is on the dock, instead of in the sand. But very good lobster.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 04:08 PM

If your crew is nervous, you might have them review Walker's navigating to Anegada page to get more comfortable. It's really quite easy and certainly nothing to be nervous about. PLUS, it's the best stop on the trip for many many people....
Posted By: ScurvyD

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 04:53 PM

On the way to Anegada have them sit on the back and look at the big islands behind, until far enough to see Anegada ahead. Land is never really out of sight.
Posted By: falcon20

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 06:21 PM

Corsairs Beach Bar on JVD had a really good lobster dinner and the staff is super nice.

http://www.corsairsbvi.com/view-our-menu/
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 07:09 PM

The problem with the Anegada run is that if you miss the island you may fall off the end of the earth...
Posted By: bailau

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ScurvyD
On the way to Anegada have them sit on the back and look at the big islands behind, until far enough to see Anegada ahead. Land is never really out of sight.

Its funny you say that...my brother in law is the sail guy and a few years back asked me if I would navigate him to Anegada since I am a licensed Captain and although I know 0 about sails do know how to navigate. he had never been there and I had been there 1x

as we left Leverick we remarked how strange it would be to not see land at sea...only to look back and see VG all the way up....:)

I endorse Warren et.al.'s position...its Anegada all the way. The sail up is easy but the sail back IMHO as a complete non sailor is the nicest leg by far.

I would look at the weather and have a plan B. In October we had no wind dead flat seas but had a powercat so that was great. Feb we had 8 foot rollers broadside which wasnt much fun and in May we had 3 ft seas both times with the 51 cat

As Jason indicated it is a lot easier approach then one would imagine and it is simply one of the best sites in the BVIs.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 09:21 PM

Lobster season in the BVI is open from Nov. 1 to June 31. No lobster may be legally sold outside of those dates. Better to know before you go than be disappointed while on the spot.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/15/2019 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Breeze
Lobster season in the BVI is open from Nov. 1 to June 31. No lobster may be legally sold outside of those dates. Better to know before you go than be disappointed while on the spot.

Actually, I believe lobster season closes on July 31 and restaurants are allowed to sell and possess lobster until August 15.
Posted By: captmoby

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/16/2019 11:31 AM

Take them up to Hog Heaven and show them the short sail to Anegada. That might ease their minds.
Posted By: ndfaninnc

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/16/2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by NCSailor
The problem with the Anegada run is that if you miss the island you may fall off the end of the earth...

I've often wondered if that would happen......
Posted By: warren460

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/17/2019 01:54 AM

Several years ago, a cat was on a mooring at Anegada. During the night, the mooring broke. The cat drifted over the reef and North West from there. A few hours later the guy woke up,

He definitely missed the island.

I imagine that his vhf and gps helped him get reacquainted with the islands.
Posted By: Midsouth

Re: Non-Anegada Lobster Restaurant? - 08/17/2019 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by warren460
Several years ago, a cat was on a mooring at Anegada. During the night, the mooring broke. The cat drifted over the reef and North West from there. A few hours later the guy woke up,

He definitely missed the island.

I imagine that his vhf and gps helped him get reacquainted with the islands.

Under those circumstances, I would definitely prefer to miss the island,
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline